Making Firewood....From Tree Trunks

I'm used to seeing those small bundles of firewood for sale at supermarkets and other places, but I never stopped to think about how they turned trees into firewood.
Here's a video showing one way it's done.
http://tinyurl.com/mbwjf5u
The guy inside that rig seems pretty good at what he's doing.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
On 1/17/2015 2:07 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I know a guy that does that but his saw is fed by a roller conveyor. He puts the logs on it and they are pulled up, cut and split the same as this video. Other difference it the cut logs fell right into the back of his truck.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Real Men cut with a chainsaw and split with a maul and/or hammer and wedge . I have 4 cords cut/stacked/drying , all done by hand . That's how I keep my youthful figure ... swingin' a 9 pound maul WILL tighten your abs !
--
Snag

On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 12:49:47 PM UTC-8, Terry Coombs wrote:

Same here. Currently have around 80 cords of Black Locust in the stacks, most was done manually with Fiskars X27, 6lb maul, wedge, 10lb sledge.
Harry K

chainsaw? use a two man saw.
On 1/17/2015 3:56 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

Two men? I use a coping saw.
On 1/17/2015 4:19 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I have a blade on my Leatherman.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

ROTFLMAO- Pico , my 6 foot 2 man saw is still in Memphis and I don't think my wife wants to help . -- Snag
On 1/17/2015 5:35 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

They did call em "Misery Whips" at some point in the nation's history.
A quote that float in my mind, the boat:
"A man who can't sharpen his own saw is no damn good."
On Monday, January 19, 2015 at 5:29:49 AM UTC-8, Stormin Mormon wrote:

For a very good reason too. I helped my dad use one to cut down a tree and didn't like it at all. Then about 10 years later my landlord asked me to help him fall a tree with one. My opinion hadn't changed in the slightest.
Harry K
What Terry Coombs/Snag says.
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 11:42:00 -0800, Oren wrote:

That is an impressive piece of machinery. I'm not sure but I bet your right. The operator must have a way to measure his cuts so they are the right length.

There is an encoder wheel in the head to measure length. It is an expensive part to replace and they do get damaged in service. I have come up with a way to repair them. These machines work better on conifers because the branches are pretty square to the trunk. On hardwoods the branches are at an angle to the trunk causing the de-limber knives to deflect leaving a spear on the log in one direction and dig into the trunk the other direction.

There is a guy in that Bobcat running it and I bet he does a thousand logs a day so he is pretty good at it.