Main beam support question

I am about to get CO on my new home and one issue came up when the building inspector was out the first time last week. Even though the first building inspector did the framing inspection months ago, this guy is saying the main beam (where the notch in the foundation wall) is supported incorrectly. The framer, to get the beam level, nailed 3 pressure treated 2x10's on end, cut to about 5 inches sitting in the notch with the beam on top. Even though there are plenty of lally columns along the beam, I was wondering if that is a risky problem to have that weigh resting on that bit of wood that might spit at the nail point. Is this common practice? Should I have the builder add a lally column there? I'd rather not have him temp fate and put up a temp support and then try and fill that area with concrete or steel or something? Can anyone lend some advice? Thanks.

Reply to
timnels

There isn't anything intrinsically wrong with that sort of connection, it just depends on what kinds of loads that section of beam is expected to support.

How far is it from the foundation wall to the next support, from the beam to the side-walls, and what else, if anything, is coming down on that beam from above?

In any case, you could always add one of these face-mounted hangers:

HGUS410 ought to be about the right size, and is good for a bit over 4 tons.

Reply to
Goedjn