Magnetics for Hard Water problems

Anyone with an opinion or experience on magnetics to solve hard water problems? Is this a bunch of bullshit or what?

-Paul

Reply to
Paul

It sure help pay the boat payments for those selling them. Sorry but that is all they do. Hard water is not changed by magnets.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Don't be quite as fat to discredit them. In my opinion the jury is still out.

Boden

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Reply to
EL

Magnets act on iron and other ferrous metals. Calcium carbonate [limestone] is a principal cause of "hard" water. It is not a ferrous metal.

I th> Anyone with an opinion or experience on magnetics to solve hard water

Reply to
John_B

its a scam

Reply to
twiedeman

"Paul" wrote in news:Y1tyb.44402$gr.39003@okepread04:

The previous owners of our house left behind both magnetic and catalyst "softeners" -- neither kind do anything useful. We had to replace all of the toilets due to the huge amount of scale build up, and we bought a proper water softener as soon as possible.

Reply to
Murray Peterson

Stop giving bovine excrement a bad name. It's an excellent nitrogen source, it can be shaped to have aerodynamic properties, all kinds of things can be done with it, regardless of the gender of the animal producing it. On the other hand (sniff, sniff) is a product that has no such value.

Michael Baugh

Reply to
DaveG

The industrial grade magnet water treatment device is the size of a oil drum.

It uses very high strength rare earth magnets. I remember a New Scientist article (>10 years ago) explaining the magnetic field's action as preventing the dissolved ions from clumping to form scale.

There are no such devices for domestic installation as the large size is necessary for it to work, plus the cost of the magnets make it beyond the reach of a home installation.

Reply to
klm

Yea, it can because the stuff that makes the water hard is ionic, but as you noted it takes a vyer strong magnetic field and it only works in the imediate area of the magnetic field. Unless you did the whole house it would not help. It might also be possible to make a system that would work removing the offending ions, but I have never seen a commerical unit and it would talk a lot more than a couple of magnets.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan