Magic Jack No Uninstall program

After many good hits and many bad misses, I am done with Magic Jack. I packed it up, and will be shipping it back tomorrow. I will find out then how much postage I will be out for this piece of crap. The last pain in the ass will be getting it off my machine.
http://uninstallmagicjack.com /

Are you mad about this? I can get you a head doctor in Las Vegas.

I am not mad. I do resent when people sell you a piece of crap knowing it is crap.
You don't think an uninstall program is necessary for software?
I think it should be a law, punishable by death.

It sounds like you got your wish. The magic jack is dead.
Lou wrote:

How so?
--
Dave
On 8/11/2008 4:42 PM metspitzer spake thus:

Yep, I agree.
Oh, sure, there are those diehard tech types (probably some reading here) who'll tell you, aw, shit, all you gotta do is delete the program files, then use the Windows registry editor to remove all the registry entries--piece of cake. (And reboot 5 or 6 times, then do a couple of virus scans ...)
Yeah, right.
metspitzer wrote:

So what happens when you go to Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs?
--John

Nothing. It lists all the well behaved, professional software.
Guess what is not on the list
metspitzer wrote:

Under what account did you install it?
--John

There is not one. It is pretty well documented on the internet.
metspitzer wrote:

If you're running Windows NT, 2000, XP, or Vista then there is an account. Different program lists show up for different accounts.
--John
On 8/11/2008 8:40 PM J. Clarke spake thus:

I assume the OP knows that. I think you're grasping at straws here; obviously, they didn't bother to put in the stuff needed for de-installation ("Oh, nobody's ever going to want to *not* use our great software!").
On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 19:16:47 -0700 (PDT), metspitzer

OP Get to device manager (if you have such). EXPOSE hidden devices.
Delete instances of the (same/multiple) hardware device. That will change the Registry.
See the Startup list and clip any driver, out.
On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 16:42:40 -0700 (PDT), metspitzer

68,000 known bugs. Ever tried fix produced another bug.

WinDERS 98 or what, for your OS.

FORMAT at the C:\\
DOD wipe!

Please explain what problems you had with MajicJack. Most reviews give it a thumbs up. Why don't you write your own review on what you experienced?

I tried one for a few weeks. The price was certainly right and a lot of the calls were pretty good quality.
But there were too many call quality issues too-- echo, calls not going through, a few drops, sometimes no dial tone. Plus you have to leave your computer on all the time-- and an annoying pop up box accompanies incoming/outgoing calls. I thought about just hooking up an old box and leaving it the MJ-- but then decided to ship it back.
We'll see if they bill my credit card this coming month!!
Bottom line-- not reliable enough yet to replace my either of my VoIP line or POTS line. Give them a year or two...they might be just fine though. I hope they make it-- it will drive local phone prices down!

I echo everything he said, and I had one more problem. The voice mail didn't work. I thought it would be pretty cool to get a .wav file of your voice mail in an email, but playing the file back was blank. I think if the voice mail worked it might have been enough for me to keep it. Having a reliable answering machine may have convinced me to give up my main phone.
Some calls were very clear and some were crap. The fact that some calls were crystal clear, convinced me that it was not my hardware causing the problems.
BTW the return postage cost 1.68 and .75 for a received confirmation. So it really didn't cost much to test drive it. I just taped the RMA to the front of the package and mailed it back.
I really wanted it to work, but it is not there yet.
metspitzer wrote:

edit the registry, then reboot once.
On 8/12/2008 9:25 PM Boden spake thus:

You do realize that suggesting someone "edit the registry" is like saying suggesting they perform brain surgery with a Sawzall and some dental picks. (I do edit my own registry occasionally, but I do know something about what I'm doing. I certainly don't recommend it to others.)

Turn off your computer and NEVER use it again.