"Low Profile" water heater?

Most electric tank water heater are tall, I have a shelf in my garage I want to keep, the bottom of the shelf is 30" off the floor, and the floor slab is

4" higher than the rest of the garage floor right below the shelf, which means the vertical space under the shelf is only about 24" tall.

Is there any tanked water heater made by any manufacturer that would be less than 24" tall? It can be long and wide, but not tall.

My other option is to cut off 24" of the built in shelf to make room for a tall tank.

The maximum demand for the heater in that area is one rarely used bathroom (lav + shower), laundry washer, laundry tub, dishwasher, kitchen sink, and an outdoor kitchen sink.

I have thought about tankless, but I don't want to open a hole in the roof to vent a gas heater, and electrical tankless is not so efficient and eats a lot of juice, not to mention multiple dedicated circuits.

Thanks in advance for any comments,

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

Look into a local mobile home supply place. For grins and giggles you can see what they have.

Reply to
Oren

You didnt look anywhere did you, even HD has a 15" and 24.25" H electric tank

Reply to
ransley

I think you might be looking for what is called a "Low Boy" water heater. I am not sure the exact height, but they are lower than the standard ones.

Reply to
Ken

what is called a "Low Boy" water

or execvate the floor and lower a standard tank in a properly built hole. might need a sump pump in there, kinda handy when the tank leaks someday

Reply to
hallerb

heres the jackhammer and cement mixer have fun

Reply to
hallerb

on 2/2/2009 10:46 PM (ET) MiamiCuse wrote the following:

The shortest I've seen is a little taller than 4'.

That's the best idea.

Reply to
willshak

A quick visit to your local orange box would answer this question.

A 4 gallon unit that will fit easy:

A 20 gallon unit that is a little bit too high:

A 10 gallon unit that is a perfect fit:

mkirsch1

Depending on how "rarely used" the rarely used hot water might be, it could be cheaper and easier to simply tie into the existing hot water system.

Reply to
HeyBub

You should be able to find one. Our vacation cabin has a water heater that fits under the kitchen countertop. It's a 2 element electric. Demand can't keep up with a long hot shower - we use one of those "Navy shower" showerheads that you can shut off until you're ready to rinse off.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry