Low-friction track for sliding 60lb box about 3 feet.

Page 2 of 2

Why not mount it on an appliance trolley, as used under kitchen stoves to roll them forward for cleaning?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
VM wrote:

1. You can buy extremely low-friction strips, similar to the stuff on the easy-glider furniture legs. I got about 40' for $18. Didn't work for shit.
2. I ended up buying a mess of furniture wheels from HF, attached them to a 2x4, and slid my stuff on that.
3. My final idea, which I didn't need to do, was a "ladder" made up of dowel rods with lubed rollers of PVC, sort of a poor-man's gizmo they use to unload packages from trucks.
While these are listed at $2.99, they've been on sale for $0.99 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber523

There is a plastic material called UHMW, easy to find at a plastics store, and cheap. This stuff is durable and is very slick. I have used it for thrust bearings on large surfaces where a real thrust bearing would be cost prohibitive. Mount two small pieces onto the bottom of the box, then mount 2 sliders to the floor. You can also put edges onto the sliders to keep the box in the track. You'd need about 18' of a narrow width, maybe 2".
On 4/10/2010 10:47 PM, VM wrote:

One option is to purchase, or make your own, rolling cargo bed. They do make heavy duty drawer slides that are flat.
This is an example of a rolling cargo bed:
http://www.cargobed.com /
This is an example of heavy duty slides:
http://slim-track.com/heavy_duty.html

Open up your yellow pages and find a seller of used factory conveyor equipment. It is not likely to cost much, judging from the numerous times I've seen it in my local scrap yard when I searched for project iron pieces. Stuff is often fairly heavy duty, maybe more so than you need.
Joe
Harbor Freight has an ad in the paper for a mover's dolly for $ 7.99 instead of the regular $ 15. Maybe you can set the box on that and if needed put down some treated 2x6 boards for the runners. Probably will not need them unless on the ground.