Loud Fan on the 2008 RUDD 90RS furnace fan

Does the fan on this unit have a fan speed option? I think my fan is too loud and I wonder if it is because of the fan speed?

Reply to
EvenStephen

The fan needs to move a certain amount of air per minute for the furnace to be efficient and effective. If you drop below the design limit by reducing the blower capacity the furnace may not operate well, may not operate at all and/or be damaged. You probably should seek the advice of a Rudd dealer.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

The heat exchanger needs a certain amount of air moving over it to keep it withing design temps, raise it above spec by reducing airflow and life can be short with some new cheap aluminised exchangers, even the best Lennox has or had them, mine does. Start by using a probe thermometer, the one with a long metal probe, a meat thermometer and get it just above the exchanger. I drilled a hole in the duct, but you cant drill blindly usualy the AC coil is there. Then read the manual, it could be to hot now as its something installers seem to be to lazy to verify. So it should be checked anyway if you want the most life out of it.

Reply to
ransley

Thanks! I'll contact the installer.

Reply to
EvenStephen

Thanks!

Reply to
EvenStephen

That's the best thing to do. Someone else mentioned damage to the heat exchanger. That's a very likely scenario if it can't transfer its design BTU amount to the air flowing over it. It probably wouldn't be immediate but it could warp and flex and subsequently crack. I've inspected my fair share of furnaces with cracked heat exchangers over the past 25 years and it's never good news to the owner.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk