Locksets not prone to lock "bumping"

Just curious---

Anyone recommend a DIY lock-set for an exterior door that is not prone to being opened by the bumping technique?

A few years ago breaking into homes by this bumping was a big rage on YouTube and elsewhere. Google lock bumping and you can view several videos on the topic.

Checked with schlage.com web site and couldn't find any info on their efforts to protect against lock bumping. (Except for their expensive keypad combination locksets that don't use keys.)

Phil

Reply to
Phil Again

Every now and again, when there is no news deemed 'important' by some little local tv station, they come up with news of ther own. One of these was 'lock bumping' as some kind of widespread crime.

Just compare it to the 'rice shortage' of recent national news. They even claim that some Sam's Clubs in California are limiting their customers to

200 lbs per visit. Oh Dear! How will I ever see tomorrow on a meager 200 lbs of rice?

Don't be fooled. Schlage makes a fine lockset, as do many other known brands.

keith

Depends, I was recently talking to my buddy about locks. He manages a bunch of facilities and tends to keep up with stuff like that. He said Schlage still has a quality line but they now have a junky line that is featured in the big box stores.

Reply to
George

Check out the Medeco locks. When I got the lock for my front door, the guy at the locksmith said to make sure to leave some keys with neighbors or family, as if I had to call him to open the lock, he would just break a window to get in.

Downside is that the keys cannot be copied locally. The teeth are pitched to the left and right of the long axis of the key, as well as being different lengths of course.

Reply to
John Locke

Search at alt.locksmithing. There have been several threads.

Reply to