Lock Re-Keying Kits Illegal in Florida?!

Page 1 of 3

I was in Florida this past week and a half for an unhappy event, and we needed to re-key the locks in my late-mother's house. My sister was calling a locksmith and I said that I could do it for about 1/10th the cost, and it would only take me an hour or so to do eight cylinders. I went to Home Depot to buy lock re-keying kits like I've done many times in California. I couldn't find them on the shelf and when I asked someone they told me that they could only sell me one if I was "licensed." It was too late to have someone send me some kits from another state so we had to have a locksmith re-key the locks.
Is this very common? Was it even true? Is the locksmith lobby so strong that they are able to prevent the sale of re-keying kits? What is the risk in selling such a kit?
wrote Re Lock Re-Keying Kits Illegal in Florida?! :

It cuts into the income of locksmiths. The locksmiths have a powerful lobby in Florida.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

Caesar Romano wrote:

High rate of property turnovers from all the snowbirds that die off, and all the vacation-house repos and walk-aways?
Once the initial round of tradesman visits was over, after I bought this place, I changed all the locks. Schlage from the big-box. Didn't have any problem at all getting 3 deadbolts and doorknobs, 6 cylinders all together, keyed alike. Just look at the little tags on the boxes. Could have gotten several more matching ones if I had wanted. A little scary to see how few different keyings they actually use. For a couple hundred bucks, I could have assembled a key ring that would probably open multiple houses in any recent subdivision around here.
-- aem sends...
Not sure if anyone mentioned this but, last I checked, HD will rekey the locks for you and it's still VERY cheap. It's just sometimes hard to find an employee who knows how to do it. Just bring the sets in to the HD.
Caesar Romano wrote:

"SMS" wrote in message

It is the same thing that you can't buy your own casket for burial in some states. Or that only licensed tradesmen can apply for certain building permits in some states.
This is the way things work in this country. A group of people form an organization and pool their money, then pay off the politicians to pass laws which benefit their cause.
If you don't like the law, form a group of consumers, gather up plenty of money, then pay off the politicians to repeal the law.
Should be cheaper at a state level. I read it costs about $165 million to get a law passed with the federal government. But if you are a big oil company or a foreign government, that is chump change...

We went to the SmartKey locks by Kwikset. They cost initially, but you can rekey them in ten seconds. We have rentals, so it makes it very nice to be so simple.
Online, you can get anything you want, including pick lock kits, bump key sets, and just about anything any criminal needs. Of course, you as an honest consumer, should be able to find what you need.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Maybe I'm dense, but I don't see what the danger is in selling re-keying kits. A rekeying kit doesn't gain you access to anything, it's just new keys and some pins that you use in the cylinders.

I would like to see the law on this. Maybe it is a local ordinance?..
I cannot stand an HD associate telling me "this is what you need", when I know it is wrong.
Walk in one day and say:
I need to break a door down, really fast.
HD: Sure this 12 lb sledge hammer will work. It even has a Hickory handle.

I'm with you. Locks aren't rocket surgery. And if you can't get it from the HD guy, who is obviously clueless, you can get it in a few days online. Any real pro key guy wouldn't be asking questions here. He'd already be in and gone.
Steve
Bill wrote:

In Alabama there were so many trunk slammer alarm companies that consumers started screaming to the government to do something, so they did. One good thing the state finally did was to make one state license good for the whole state instead of the state certified dealer having to get an alarm company license for every little town and city. This according to my memory of conversations with friend who is in the business now, I got out of it 25 years ago because of all the hassle and time commitment. Alarm techs often get called out in the wee hours to fix something a giant 2 legged rat broke.
TDD

I would not necessarily take everything you hear from a home depot guy as gospel. It is more likely that they just don't sell them in hopes of selling you a new lock set.

A few years back, I went to HD in Wyoming to get some 1/2" PEX (~40ft) and the connections to add a hose bibb to a friends home. Where I'm from, HD has all the fittings AND will rent you the "crimper" for $ 10/day.
The staff at HD said that PEX wasn't approved for sale in WY and that they doubted whether I could find any in Cheyenne.
Huh !
Rudy wrote:

PEX was just recently approved in California (August 1st). It's possible the HD guy was a straight-shooter - as most people in Wyoming are.

First, condolences on your loss.
Would you have been able to buy complete replacement locks? That's what I usually do anyway.
David
hibb wrote:

It isn't practical or sensible. First, it's very expensive, second, you can't buy eight keyed-alike locks from Home Depot or any other hardware store (you can order on-line). We just needed to secure the house from all the people that had been given keys over the years, not change the lock fixtures for any other reason.
Home Depot will re-key the locks for $5 each which isn't bad, though it's about 3x the cost of doing it yourself and you have to remove all the locks and take them into the store. I would have done this if I had had time, but I had to return home so my sister had a locksmith come do it.
It was actually pretty funny when I got the quotes. One wanted $60 for a service call plus $10 per cylinder. One wanted $25 per cylinder with no charge for the service call.
Since there were eight cylinders we opted for the one with the service call charge. The second locksmith kept calling us back arguing about the cost (next time use caller-ID blocking!), insisting that the fact that he didn't charge for a service call made him cheaper, claiming that no one could do the job for only $10 per cylinder, and warning us to use a qualified company (which is why we went with the one that's been around for 50 years).

First, condolences on your loss.
Would you have been able to buy complete replacement locks? That's what I usually do anyway.
David
Look at KwikSet SmartKey locks before you buy anything. I'm not usually impressed by anything at HD, but these and the SharkBite copper tubing connectors are the cat's meow.
Steve

Aren't Kwikset locks basically just "keep honest people honest" locks? I've heard that they're pretty easy to defeat. They certainly *feel* less sturdy than Schlage or Medeco, although that's obviously subjective and not really worth anything at all when evaluating...
nate

Most all locks are just to keep honest people honest. A good kick will open many doors. Then the windows are not all that secure.
The main things to look for in a door lock is how well they will hold up over the years and what they look like.
For now, those are unproven technology. See what happens in a few years when the locks start to age. I would not trust them.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

So, you basically have nothing to add to the conversation, no solutions, or no anecdotal references. But just use this as another opportunity to post your trolling sig line?
Steve Learn the truth www.exmormon.org
or try this one:
http://www.mormonwiki.com/Book_of_Mormon_DNA
Sorry, pal. You are the one who keeps posting this crap.