Location of Temperature Sensor in AC / Heat System

Hi All..
I have a Robert Shaw branded electrical / programmable thermostat for my heating and cooling systems (my heating furnaces are in my attic, and my AC units are outside my house)
The question I have is where are the temperature sensors for my RobertShaw thermostat units located ? I have one unit on my top level in my master bedroom, and one on my main level in my dining room ?
Is there a single temperature sensor my my thermostat, or is there a different one for my AC units, and my heating systems ?
Thanks

The sensors are built into the thermostat;they are thermistors;change resistance with changes in temperature.They are a tiny seed-sized (~2mm dia.)component with two fine wires coming out of them.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik