Liquid nails or wood glue; table repair?

We got a table that freinds were getting rid of that the legs broke off from. It is a dense light color wood that looks like butcher block. Some of the legs still have embedded some metal with a hex shaped opening that is a receptacle for some screws, both of which are missing a few. I don't know what was in their heads, but it looked like they tried to glue some of the legs onto the frame with polyurethane foam insulation type stuff, which seems to be coming off easily. Was wondering, if we could find more of the metal hex receptacles, would it be better to secure them with wood glue or liquid nails or something else? Hubby's talking replacing some of the hardware with t nuts. ares

Reply to
ares

The old connectors may be those commonly used by Ikea and other sources of build-it-yourself furniture. Ikea also sells extra assembly hardware.

-- Don Phillipson Carlsbad Springs (Ottawa, Canada)

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Also check around your town for a place that sells that sort of stuff, we have one here in Asheville that carries a lot of cool little items.

Reply to
ryeish

do what the neighbors were doing... throw it out... then you wont have their problem....

Reply to
jim

Thanks, I think it is an IKEA style item. We like the challenge sometimes of refurbishing castoffs and we don't have the $ to pitch on new things. ares

Reply to
ares

According to ares :

Our Home Depot carries many of these hardware bits in their nuts/bolts/washers etc bins.

Called "knockdown hardware".

Watch out for threading. I think the Ikea stuff is metric. I'm pretty sure the HD stuff isn't.

Reply to
Chris Lewis