Lights out

I have 8' cold start flourescent lights in a barn that I build. When it is damp outside they have a orange glow in the ends but won't come on. When it is dry they work perfect. These lights have been installed for about 2 years.

Do they have this problem when it's damp and hot, as in summer? Or just damp and cold?
some flourescent fixtures like to be grounded, others want new bulbs, starters if applicable , or ballasts [which come in different usage temperatures]. clean bulb tips, clean socket electrical contacts. new bulbs will come on quicker and be brighter than old.
Walter wrote:

buffalobill wrote:

I would like to add that sometimes cleaning the bulbs helps, if the fixtures are properly grounded and the bulbs still don't come on when it is humid.
The explanation: The bulbs could have a thin film of hygroscopic dust or dirt, and this film gets slightly conductive when it is wet. This can screw up the electric field distribution inside bulbs that are trying to start.
Walter wrote:

I would suggest two likely issues. First would be a a little corrosion on the contacts. Try cleaning them and second make sure you have the fixtures well grounded. Other than that try a new lamp.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
sounds like bad lamps, if they are disclored at all on the ends replace them........
older lmps have harder starting.
lamps last about 2 years in continious operation
i have a friend who foir a varieytty of bad reasons never turns them off
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 12:10:01 -0600, "Walter"

cold and damp? What is the temps?
tom @ www.YourMoneyMakingIdeas.com