Lights on reminder?

Page 2 of 2

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 21:11:48 -0700, harry k wrote:

You're getting into the sort of territory when you need an embedded computer to blink out fault codes, purely to keep the LED count down. Never mind that the computer might then be the weak spot, so you then need a second built-in computer to diagnose faults with the first... (yes, I have seen systems designs spiral out of control like that :-)
(I think the two LEDs are a useful idea though, just so you don't leave the house without the door fully latched closed, or can be a little more cautious if it's saying that it's not latched in the open position and might fall on your head)
cheers
Jules

I don't buy the need for the second light at all. "no lights is a good indicator of a fault" - so is seeing the one light not lit and finding the door open. IF the sensor is located at, or near the bottom (closed) position it will also indicate no matter what the door position is other than 'closed'.
As to "latching" either open or closed - I have never seen a garage door that does that. The opener mechanism is designed to hold the door in whatever position it is in be it closed, open, halfway, etc. The only way for it to "fall" is for the springs and cables to break...well to go further I suppose the entire mechanism could fall off :).
I'll sitk with my "nerd engineer" hypothesis :)
Harry K
harry k wrote:

Ya may have lost me there but whether it was in the instructions, or if I just figured it out myself, I mounted it on the top panel.
The receiver also has a mode where the red and green alternately flash. That seems to be a warning that it lost radio contact with the sending unit. Turn it off and on and it resets itself. Of course this could be done with one LED flashing also.

We have a house rule. $2 fee for leaving a room with each light on. First month collected $72. Second month $8. After that, nothing at all. We really don't need a bunch of gizmo gadgets, just a little behavior modification.
Phisherman wrote:

"A door is ajar. Caution. A door is ajar"

No. A door is a door. A jar is a jar.
A car is a car until it turns into a driveway.

LOL! Reminds me of my son's first year playing Little League baseball, when he was about six or seven. He began to develop the habit of grabbing his crotch, repeatedly, on the field. So my wife came up with the idea of fining him a penny each time. After the next one-hour practice, she collected $1.42; the time after that, about 65 cents; third time, maybe a nickel. Not an issue after that.
Wow, suppose all Michael Jackson's fans had done the same thing? He woulda had to sell Neverland, and live in apartment with his boys.
When I was a kid, my parents imposed something about put your napkin on your lap, at dinner table. Nickel fine. Someone, not me, in the family used to remark about being "first nickel winner". Which was absurd.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Constant, annoying buzzer any time light is on.

If they can't see that the room lights are on, how do you expect them to notice your indicator light?
On Sep 26, 8:42am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I'm assuming he means that he wants an indicator in a room other than where the lights are. But we don't know because there isn't enough info, like are the lights in question on one switch or table lamps? He could put an indicator light from radio shack into a blank cover plate. If the indicator is going to be any distance from the switch running the wire could be a bitch. And like you said, there is no guarantee that anyone will pay any attention to it anyway.
I was looking for a simple one pole wall switch for my garage where the switch would light if the switch was on so I could see it in the laundry room. I couldn't find one at HD, Lowes, etc. Everyone they had was designed to light when it was off so you could see it in the dark. I'm sure somone makes it, but I eventually just forgot about it.

Think about what you just typed, above. If the light is off in the switch, the garage light is on. The dog that didn't bark, etc.
But ISTR the suckers glowed all the time, not when they were switched. Maybe the brightness changed or something. My family's 1966 folly had several of them, but I haven't seen one in many years.
-- aem sends...

Yes, but having it ass backwards isn't particularly appealing to me. The normal convention is when something is on then the indicator light is on. When you start to deviate from that, the more confusing everything gets.

Why not use an "occupancy sensor" gadget in the room?
At worse, you can put in some perfectly legal surface wiring and put the sensor next to the fixture.
Many of these gadgets can be used with LED/CFL lamps because the actual switching is done with an electro-mechanical device. (Read the package instructions before buying.)
If the light switch is in the same room you simply replace the switch with an occupancy sensor switch.
We use them in the kitchen and bathroom. We had one in a downstair "extra" family room but it would often switch off when someone was still in the room.
Frankly, with CFLs it isn't all that big a deal on the electric bill if someone does leave the lights on.