Lightening Wood Stain??

Is there any way to lighten wood that is already stained? We are replacing a sliding door that has wood trim on the inside that is already stained, but it is darker than the existing wood work in the room.
Any ideas?? I thought about staining the door even darker to make it look like we intended to do that, but I don't think that woul dlook too good.
Thanks for any ideas.