Lighted switches -- any with long-lasting lights?

Page 2 of 2

Try this interesting experiment. Shine a strong light, like an LED flashlight, on the flickering neon light and report the effects.
-- Bobby G.

IME *all* neon lights in switches flicker, but I haven't had one fail completely (yet.) Only have two though, in decorator-style dimmer switches, and that only because I couldn't find any non-lighted ones.
nate

<IME *all* neon lights in switches flicker, but I haven't had one fail completely (yet.) Only have two though, in decorator-style dimmer switches, and that only because I couldn't find any non-lighted ones.>
Nate, I believe both the OP and I have neon lights that don't just flicker, they go on and off repeatedly as if they were flashing Morse code signals. Cheap powerstrips are a great source for such bulbs. And I was astonished at what happened when I shined a bright flashlight on the neon bulb as someone at Physicsweb suggested.
-- Bobby G.

That is a good question, one that I have as well. I have 16 GE dimmer switches with lighted toggle. They range in age from ten to five years old. I think there is only one that does not flicker. A couple no longer light at all (of course, they don't flicker either). It seems like these switches ran about $12 each at a big box store. I would have hoped for a little better service from them.
Bob-tx
I just plug in an LED night light right by the switch. Of course this only helps if there's an outlet by the switch.
Edward

add a small string of LED christmas lights of white or colors, the wattage is so low so you can enjoy the illumination 24 hours a day. or see your commercial grade wall switches at: http://www.grainger.com

Grainger won't sell to the general public. You must be a business or service organization, which I am not. Wish I could buy there.
Bob-tx
On 11/25/10 12:25 pm, Bob-tx wrote:

I've read that that depends on the particular Grainger outlet and/or on the State in which it is located.
IAC, I looked at the on-line Grainger catalog and saw no illuminated switches that are not also sold by HD (or is it Lowes? I can never remember which of them sells Leviton).
Perce
On 11/25/10 02:38 pm, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

I found nothing in the Pass & Seymour line (made in China) that was any improvement on the one that I was ready to replace. At HD I found a Leviton (made in the USA) from their "Preferred" series. I think that the original one I had installed was probably a Cooper (from Lowe's, as there was no HD here at that time).
Time will tell.
Perce
On 11/25/2010 9:25 AM Bob-tx spake thus:

Not true.
I had absolutely no problem buying stuff at my local Grainger (Berkeley, CA) even before I signed up for an account under the name of my handyman business.
But if I were looking for "commercial-grade wall switches" I wouldn't go to Grainger but to my local Real Electrical Supply House (which in my case is the Chinese-owned Emperor Electric in Oakland, a great place to buy anything electrical).
--
he fashion in killing has an insouciant, flirty style this spring,
On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 11:25:15 -0600, "Bob-tx" <NOBSPAM

I bought something there. It was the only place in town that had the "thing", so off I went. ( being installed by an electrician)
Guy asked if I had an account. I said I wasn't sure, but it's for the government> Gave XZY agency. Nope not an account..... He sold me the part under the state forestry service account. Every state has one...?

I had a bunch of my brother-in-law's business cards & just had to hand one over to purchase. Was going that way one day and didn't have a card, so I printed up a 'Jim's Handyman Service' card. That was good enough.
They just want to cover their asses so contractors can't complain that they are selling to the general public.
OTOH- I don't think I've been to Grainger's since I discovered McMaster-Carr online. Usually quicker than waiting until I have time to run to the other side of town to Grainger's-- Their prices & inventory are similar.
Jim
On 11/26/2010 08:02 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Agreed, no attitude from McM-C either.
ADI has become a real PITA to purchase from lately as well.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel