Liftmaster Garage Door Opener Problem

I have two 7-foot garage doors controlled by Liftmaster Model 2280-267 1/2HP belt-drive openers, about ten years old. They both seem to working okay, but the one I most use (main car), looks strange to me. I notice when the door is opening, the belt seems to 'flop' way too much in my opinion. The other door doesn't do that. The last thing I need is for the belt to snap.
I am thinking that maybe the belt mechanism is wearing out, and in fact is about to break. Maybe the belt has stretched out excessively? My manual only shows a 'complete trolley assembly' - part # 41B3869-1, but I see in a Google search that I can buy just the belt.
What does my audience think? Should I replace the belt mechanism? Should I go for the entire assembly (assuming it includes the belt)? Or should I just buy the belt?
Thanks
Big Fred
On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 15:34:52 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@dodger.com wrote:

Can you just move a pulley on one end or the other to tighten the belt.
On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 15:40:28 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I think the wheel on the motor top was fixed in position. I don't know about the wheel at the other end - as I recall I had to bolt that down onto the rail. In any case, the belt is still under some amount of tension, and so I would need either to release the tension, which may not be easy due to the way the spring was set during assembly, or to lock the belt in place somehow so as to overcome the tension whilst I play with the bolts holding the wheel. Channel-lock pliers?
I'll take another look
Thanks
Big Fred
Often the motor bracket has a curved hole, and a bolt. Loosen bolt, bang the motor with a hammer, tighten bolt again.
On 9/13/2013 3:55 PM, snipped-for-privacy@dodger.com wrote:

Usually one end is adjustable. But, ten years he's got his use out of those belts.

The slack shows during the opening. Not so much when closing. I figger maybe that is because of the weight of the door which puts stress on the mechanism. Yes I did try lubricating the wheels. No effect that I see.

I am inclined to think that you are right. Rubber does that.

Ayup
Thanks
Big Fred
Been a while since I've done one, but easy enough to replace just the belt. Might even have a part number on the old belt. Have to tighten the tensioner a bit more in a couple days, belts loosen up the first few days. Buy two, have a spare. Wire or tie wrap it up next to the opener, so it will be there for you.
On 9/13/2013 3:34 PM, snipped-for-privacy@dodger.com wrote:

Buy a spare belt. It is cheap insurance against having to try to buy one on a SUnday afternoon when all the stores are closed.
On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 16:19:36 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net"

I'll have to see if local Lowes has it.
TX
BF
On 09/14/13 05:49 am, snipped-for-privacy@dodger.com wrote:

Probably more likely to find it at an auto parts store -- AutoZone, NAPA, etc. It's probably the same as is used on some motor vehicle for something.
Perce
On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 08:32:01 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

That would surprise me! I will do that if Lowes no have. Google shows some sources.
BF

If you have a Tractor Supply store , try there. Just have the measurments of the belt.
Bring the old belt, in hand. That usually works best, for me. I've had enough moments I measure a part, some measurement is off a bit, and have to go back.
On 9/15/2013 10:39 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

On Friday, September 13, 2013 7:19:36 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

The problems with that is if the belt finally fails someday in 10 years, I'd never find the spare belt. Probably wouldn't even remember I had it. And then the rest of it could crap out before the belt. Seems to me it's no big deal to work the door by hand for a few days when and if the belt goes.
here ya go,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ujnIHPf9zA&list=PLF35C4AFDFF4AA14F

I am posting this just to brag that I solved my problem, and to pass on what I did in case it might help someone down the road.
I took a closer look at the belt and its connection/spring, and found that there was a nut that could be tightened with an open-end wrench. A few turns and the belt slack was gone. Seems obvious now, but my dumbness was in the way of common sense.
It has been several days now, and all seems a-okay.
Cya and thanks all.
Big Fred
Ok - Things fixed, that's great.
But, why was the belt slipping, did it stretch?? I would consider buying a spare belt just to have, it's cheap insurance.