Leveling recessed shower shelves

How are recessed tile shower shelves supposed to be leveled? I'm interest in the floor of the recess, where the soap or shampoo will rest. It seems the you need a slope to get the water out, yet you don't want the soap sliding out on its own.

The shower I'm tiling has 6x6 ceramic tile walls. Someone told me that you can alternate the slope of smaller tiles on the shelf, but I'm not using small tile. Should I cut smaller pieces for it this part?

Any other methods out there?

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
waterrockets

Slope it just slightly, a little off bubble. If you can see the slope it's too much.

Unless the tile will cut itself, I suppose you'll have to cut them to fit the recess.

In many instances I like the ceramic corner shelves better than a recess. for both shampoo bottle and/ or soap.

Reply to
G Henslee

:)

I meant: Should I fabricate smaller tiles (3/4 x 3/4?), giving me more grout lines on the shelf. This would allow me to form a more complex contour for drainage while retaining soap bars. Possible a slight bowl shape with a valley out the front -- like a gravy boat, but only 1/16" deep.

Could you give me a link to self-cutting tile? Sounds cool.

-Mike

Reply to
Mike

No.