Leveling cured concrete

I'm supposed to help a friend install laminate flooring in his living room this weekend. Today, he removed the carpet. Right in front of the entry is a raised (lump, he called it) area; 2 x 5 feet and 1/4 in high.
Any equipment recommendations for grinding this down? Other suggestions?

Tee hee!
Just a guess BUT I suspect that under the carpet and padding was a layer of 3/4" particle board. The water that was tracked in from the entry caused it to swell.
IF that is the case, you might consider replacing a section of the "sub-floor" which has a tendency to get wet with some plywood.
Of course, you CAN grind it down. Best tool would be a wood plane (power or manual). Trouble is that the section of concern is now a "low density" particle board and isn't the same strength of the rest of the floor.

Read the WHOLE post numnuts. Geeze, what would you people do without me?
On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 05:32:07 GMT, andy asberry

There are floor grinders you can rent, but I'd be looking at floor leveling compound instead. Check your flooring supplier or a masonry supplier.
Jeff

If you level the floor, going up 1/4 inch what does that do the other details for the floor? I personally would look into a roto hammer with a chisel bit. It will take some time but once lowered you can use your leveling compound. They also make a bit that is square and looks a lot like a meat tenderizer. Going to town with one of those, should not take more than a couple of hours. Bigger the rotohammer the better, Hilti TE 52, or 72. Sorry do not know the other models. Stay away from anything that will not handle at least a 3 inch bit. Plastic everything! Your going to have pieces in the front yard. Eye protection is a must for this. Have fun and let us know how it turned out
On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 05:32:07 GMT, andy asberry

Thanks Jeff and SQ.