left hinge door, right hinge storm

Page 1 of 2

We've got a left-hinge door, and my husband wants to install the storm door right-hinge. Here's a picture of our setup:
http://www.adi.com/~hamilton/house/outsidepix/frontOfHouse.jpg
(It shows the old door and storm both of which were installed left- hinge.)
It seems really inconvenient to me, and I'm trying to talk him out of it (although I expect to lose, as I have lost every damned point on our current project.)
Does anybody have anything that I could use to persuade him?
Thanks,
Cindy Hamilton

If the hinges are on the same side, it's easier to hold the storm door open with your back as you unlock the front door.
If the hinges are on the opposite side, you'll be reaching into the more constricted part of the opening to unlock the front door. If you have anything at all in your hands besides the key, this will be annoying.
If your husband can't see this, he's just being difficult. Retaliate in any of the numerous ways open to you.

Thanks, I'll try that one. But we mostly use the front door to accept delivery of a pizza. Otherwise, we use the back door, which is closer to the detached garage.

The problem is, he's the youngest of five boys, and I'm an only child. He's much more inventive and experienced than I am.
I'm sure I'll think of something. Perhaps I'll start "forgetting" the sugar in his coffee.
Cindy Hamilton
On 6/17/2010 9:43 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Tell him if you can't get that door to open the way you want it, he won't be getting *your* door to open the way he wants it.
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

And how are the hinges on THAT door configured?
Further, if you only use the front door infrequently, why bother with a storm door?

Sliding patio door.

To protect the 2-kilobuck fiberglass door that we just bought and installed. There's no overhang of any kind.
Cindy Hamilton
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Okay, check the doors on every house on your block. Consider the majority vote as some indicator of best practice.

If the door cost more than a couple hundred bucks, it will weather storms, gunshots, meteor strikes, Halloween tricksters, home invaders, termites, a blow-torch, SWAT team battering rams, and almost anything else nature, God, ferocious animals, or humans can throw at it.
If you're still concerned, you can wrap it in aluminum foil.

re: "So you bought a nice expensive designer door ...and now you're going to hide it behind a storm door."
I bought a nice expensive designer door but also bought a expensive designer *full view* storm door.
We enjoy having the interior door open and with new hi-efficiency retractable screen full view storm door, we can have the interior door open more often than we could in the past.
The full view storm makes a huge difference, both from inside the house and outside, and doesn't hide the interior door.

Another vote for "nix the storm". Fiberglass doors are *intended* to be in the weather. That's why they make them out of fiberglass.
-snip-

If it's election day, then I vote *for* the storm. [never had a bassackwards setup, so I can't help the OP with hubby-- except to remind *her* to remind *him* that when 'momma ain't happy-- then *nobody* is happy' <g>]
Biggest storm door advantages are ventilation in summer and reduced heat loss in winter.
Protecting the other door is a minor advantage in my opinion.
Jim

Are fiberglass doors *intended* to be in the weather or are they able to *withstand* the weather?
That's 2 very different things.
My car seats are made of a material that dries very quickly. DAMHIKT
They are not *intended* to be left exposed to thunderstorms, but they can *withstand* the exposure fairly well.
As far as the use of storms doors, I've had them on every hinged door in every house I've ever lived. Even growing up I remember the entry doors being open for light, air and that general feeling of "openess". As I mentioned earlier, I love my new full view, retractable screen storm door for those very reasons.
There's nothing like the cross ventilation you get with multiple doors open - without the danger of contracting the West Nile virus in your own living room.
How many people here think that the only reason for a storm door is to protect the entry door?

Losing one of my wife's dogs through the open door would ruin any chance of me ever having an "experience" with her again.
But I know what you mean...the sliding screen on the deck is usually left open. However, there is a gate to keep the dogs on the deck.
I don't know where you live, but my area is very wooded. Not using screens at night during the summer would mean bugs of varying shapes and sizes, some being pretty friggin' scary, would be attracted to the light inside the house. We'd be overrun.
Don't 'cha just love the smell of a large fried moth on a 300 Watts Halogen Torchiere?

That's a possibility...if you keep your door closed all of the time. Some people might prefer it, or require it for safety reasons. But in most instances a storm door provides somethings a single door can't. A storm/screen door is great for ventilation and light, and provides a more open feel to the house. Particularly important during parties and other gatherings where people are coming and going.

A large pizza is wide enough to be really awkward to pass through such a setup. Believe me, I know. Our front door is set up that way, and it's a nuisance every time we have one delivered.
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Just telling him he is an idiot is unlikely to help so...
1. Pull a Lysistrata - OR - 2. New husband.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

I've had an inkling, for some time, that the average intelligence of this group exceeds by more than a small amount that often found in other congregations.
Imagine reference to a play by Aristophanes as a solution to a home repair question !
I continue to be impressed.
--
Aside: A conservative author has a new (fiction) book out and promotes it
with the following poem:
HeyBub wrote:

Awe, shucs, twernt nuthin...
--

dadiOH
____________________________
HeyBub wrote:

Awe, shucs, twernt nuthin...
--

dadiOH
____________________________
HeyBub wrote:

Awe, shucs, twernt nuthin...
--

dadiOH
HeyBub wrote:

All they made us do was draw circles in a spiral. Like a Slinky. Never could do them worth a damn.
--

dadiOH