Left broiler on - damage?

After a very long day, I decided to actually cook dinner for DH. I broiled some steaks (and made a bunch of other sufff). When the steaks were done, I artfully arranged our dinners on the plates and brought him dinner in bed. Dinner was delicious, but after a while, an incredibly nasty smell permeated the house. I realized it was coming from the broiler (of our gas stove), which I had left on. I ran downstairs to shut the thing off & see if the kitchen was on fire (it wasn't). Since it's below freezing, I couldn't open the windows & doors to air out the house.
Today I'm wondering if I did some permanent damage to the stove, whether there is something I should look at to fix or replace and I'm wondering what the heck makes that smell. The oven & broiler are clean (no built-up gunk).
Aside from ending my culinary pursuits, does anyone have any suggestions for me?
montana wildhack wrote:

I doubt you did any damage, especially if this was a self-cleaning oven. Most likely the smell was from fat and other cooking byproducts being burned off the broiler area.

While you think the oven was clean, there were probably hidden drops of gunk that normal cleaning would not get to. The heating of the broiler over some time finally got them hot enough to burn off. I doubt any damage was done, other that a possible bruise to your ego. Just continue your life.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Good to know. This oven was never designed to be self-cleaning.As long as I didn't actually set anything on fire, I'm fine.
Thanks to Edwin & Travis.
Turn on the broiler and see if it works. You didn't say how long the broiler was left on. You are fortunate the house did not catch fire. You must have smoke and monoxide detectors. Never leave the kitchen with the oven/broiler/stove on. Have a two or three escape plans.
On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 15:26:07 GMT, montana wildhack

If you are to cook a pot of beans for five or six hours, you'd sit in the kitchen?
Ovens are built to contain just about anything that catches fire in them. Safest thing to do in the case of an oven fire is to close the oven door.
I agree about broiling but we often cook a pot roast for hour on the stove top also. Low flame, heavy pot.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

1) Sure, you coulda opened the windows. Mighta been less damage than leaving smoke indoors. 2) Doubt you did much damage. 3) Ed: Like your website. I'd wondered what you look like. Very distinguished gent for sure.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus