Left broiler on - damage?

If you are to cook a pot of beans for five or six hours, you'd sit in the kitchen?

Ovens are built to contain just about anything that catches fire in them. Safest thing to do in the case of an oven fire is to close the oven door.

I agree about broiling but we often cook a pot roast for hour on the stove top also. Low flame, heavy pot.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

After a very long day, I decided to actually cook dinner for DH. I broiled some steaks (and made a bunch of other sufff). When the steaks were done, I artfully arranged our dinners on the plates and brought him dinner in bed. Dinner was delicious, but after a while, an incredibly nasty smell permeated the house. I realized it was coming from the broiler (of our gas stove), which I had left on. I ran downstairs to shut the thing off & see if the kitchen was on fire (it wasn't). Since it's below freezing, I couldn't open the windows & doors to air out the house.

Today I'm wondering if I did some permanent damage to the stove, whether there is something I should look at to fix or replace and I'm wondering what the heck makes that smell. The oven & broiler are clean (no built-up gunk).

Aside from ending my culinary pursuits, does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Reply to
montana wildhack

I doubt you did any damage, especially if this was a self-cleaning oven. Most likely the smell was from fat and other cooking byproducts being burned off the broiler area.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

While you think the oven was clean, there were probably hidden drops of gunk that normal cleaning would not get to. The heating of the broiler over some time finally got them hot enough to burn off. I doubt any damage was done, other that a possible bruise to your ego. Just continue your life.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Good to know. This oven was never designed to be self-cleaning.As long as I didn't actually set anything on fire, I'm fine.

Thanks to Edwin & Travis.

Reply to
montana wildhack

Reply to
Phisherman
1) Sure, you coulda opened the windows. Mighta been less damage than leaving smoke indoors. 2) Doubt you did much damage. 3) Ed: Like your website. I'd wondered what you look like. Very distinguished gent for sure.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon