LED bulbs

Page 1 of 2
I've finally reached the end of my incandescent bulbs and CFL and am starting to replace them with LED bulbs. I saw a 60W equivalent bulb on sale for $5 made by Cree as part of some deal with the utility so I picked one up. It is a warm light. It is OK, nothing to brag about.
Sunday, I wanted to replace two more bulbs so I picked up two more, but these were Osram and were $10. I chose the daylight over the warmer colors.
I put the two side by side in a vanity fixture. Cree = kind of dingy Osram = Wow, this is nice and bright
both are allegedly 800 lumens.
On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 6:02:29 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Unfortunately, the same thing is happening with LED "bulbs" as happened wit h CFLs... some are really good and some are not.
I'm guessing you didn't like the Cree because it was "warm white" not becau se it's bad though. They're usually pretty well regarded, even if the CRI is only about 80ish or so. If you live in CA you should be able to get a " true white" version with a 90+ CRI.
The nice thing about CFL and LED is that you can pick color temperature whi ch you can't do with incandescent - regular incans are all "warm white" hal ogens maybe a little cooler but you'll never see an incan of any type signi ficantly higher than 3000K. That's easily achievable with LED (in fact hig h color temp LEDs are more common than "warm white" ones.)
If you want to fall down a rabbit hole, do some reading over at candlepower forums...
Finally the BEST LED "bulbs" I've tried are the Philips L-Prize bulbs, but they've been off the shelves for quite some time now. They are warm white but they are a truly good replacement for a 60W incan. ~900 lumens IIRC.
nate
On 8/12/2014 7:19 AM, N8N wrote:

Energy savings of LED's over CFL's are not worth the extra cost. I'm waiting for them to come down.
Spectral differences can be a PITA. I bought a couple of CFL's whose white light made them annoying indoors and they now reside on the porch.
Also some of my CFL's are hummers and can be quite annoying. One in the kitchen is so loud I can hear it in the den nearby. Wife says it goes away with time. I've also heard of both type lights interfering with the radio.
Looking forward to manufacturers removing this annoyance.
On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 8:39:26 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:

CRI is only about 80ish or so. If you live in CA you should be able to get a "true white" version with a 90+ CRI.

halogens maybe a little cooler but you'll never see an incan of any type s ignificantly higher than 3000K. That's easily achievable with LED (in fact high color temp LEDs are more common than "warm white" ones.)

ite but they are a truly good replacement for a 60W incan. ~900 lumens IIR C.

I don't have LEDs because of the power savings over CFLs, it is because the y (at least good ones - most of mine are the now discontinued Philips L-Pri zes that I scooped up when they were on sale at HD for $15 apiece) don't ha ve many of the drawbacks of CFLs. The light is a nice warm white high CRI light, they are properly dimmable, and they are approximately as bright as a 60W incan unlike many "60W equivalent" CFLs.
nate
On 8/12/2014 7:19 AM, N8N wrote:

The Osram bulb has a nice even glow over the entire globe. The Cree has a bright spot under the globe and does not seem to disperse as well. The color temperature seems lower than the incan too.
I happen to like the brighter colors but that is personal preference.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

We like Philips Daylight ones. Dimmable, works well with motion sensor switch.
On 08/12/14 06:02 am, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

We just bought two "65-Watt equivalent" "Feit"-branded dimmable BR30 LED bulbs (very cheap at Costco with an instant rebate from the utility co.) to try in our dining room (we really need four altogether but bought two to start). They are brighter than the 65W incandescents they replaced and seemed to work fine with the dimmer. But because they are a little too bright at full power we set the dimmer a little lower this morning but then noticed that the brightness would jump up and down a little from time to time -- very annoying. I have no idea whether the problem is in the bulbs or in the dimmer.
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Did you mix them with other kind bulbs? It happened to me when two different brand LEDs were mixed(GE, Philips).
On 08/12/14 09:41 am, Tony Hwang wrote:

Two of the LED bulbs, two of the original incandescents.
Perce
On 08/12/14 10:00 am, I wrote:

We bought more of the Feit BR30 bulbs, so the dining room lights are now a matched set. The dimmer is a fairly recent Lutron, but it is not marked as CFL/LED compatible.
We've now replaced the 10-yr-old Sylvania CFL BR30s in the living room by Feit LED BR30s as well -- *much* brighter. No dimmer on that circuit yet, but I think we'll be buying the latest Lutron LED-compatible dimmers for both rooms.
Perce
My experience with FEIT CFLs is that they are short-lived. I hope their LEDs are much better quality.

in my experience that is true of all CFLs.
On 8/12/2014 10:47 AM, Pico Rico wrote:

CFL's can work great but if you put them in places where they are frequently turned on and off they can wear out fast. I no longer put them in my bathrooms. Between taking several seconds to come up to full power and short life, I prefer incandescents in bathrooms. Powder room in my basement has original super bulbs put there by the builder 35 years ago.
Does anyone know if all LED lights are dimmable?
My mother has a small chandelier above her dining room table. It has six 40 watt incandescent bulbs with candalabra bases. She has a cheap dimmer switch which both turns it on and off and varies the intensity of the light.
The problem is that on hot evenings, the heat coming off that chandalier can make the whole dining room uncomfortably warm.
My understanding is that I can't replace the bulbs with CFL's because CFL's aren't generally dimmable. I'd have to replace the dimmer with a special dimmer switch to use CFL bulbs.
I'm hoping someone makes 40 watt equivalent LED bulbs with candelabra bases so that I could replace those incandescent bulbs with LED's to eliminate the heat they produce, but still retain the dimmability of the chandelier with the existing dimmer switch.
--
nestork

On 08/12/14 10:54 am, nestork wrote:

I'm not sure that all LED bulbs are dimmable, but some are marked as being dimmable.
Some dimmers are specifically marked as being compatible with CFLs and LEDs, but I don't know what happens if you use an older dimmer with them.
I think I saw candelabra-base LED bulbs at Costco, but I didn't take much notice because we have no light fittings with candelabra bases.
Perce
On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 9:54:22 AM UTC-5, nestork wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
CFLs can be dimmable, just look on the box to see if it says they are dimmable. You don't need a special dimmer for dimmable CFLs. They may flicker dimly on some dimmers, that is all.
On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 12:20:02 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

r dimly on some dimmers, that is all.
A few years ago - probably 5 or 6 now - I purchased one of just about every "dimmable" CFL I could find in local stores, and not one of them was accep table. I returned all of them and just used 100W incans in the wall sconce s in my living room as at the time there was nothing else available that wo uld work.
The Philips LED bulbs dim nicely, with the one caveat that the color temp d oesn't change to the warmer with diminishing brightness like incans do, nor do they dim smoothly all the way to zero brightness like an incan will. H owever they seem to be much closer to a functional energy-efficient incan r eplacement than any CFL I have seen.
nate

A few years ago, 15 ? , I bought a dimmable CFL, might have been walmart, $20. I installed it in one of those 500 watt halogen floor lamps. It worked well and was a pleasant daylight color. There was a slight turn on threshold, but didn't have a problem with that. One day in a move, I broke it. Never got to retry another lamp after it sat outside under my porch weathering.
I had awful luck with feit dimmables. The only ones I have tried lately.
Greg
Frank wrote:

LEDs will give you a modest power savings over CFLs, but more importantly they have a much longer service life and that is where more significant savings come in with lower lamp cost over the service live vs. CFL as well as less lamp replacement labor.
All of the lighting in a given room should be coordinated as to color temp and CRI, this is nothing new, it applied just as well before LEDs or even CFLs.
I've used both CFLs and LEDs for some time and have not run into noise issues either acoustic or RFI. The one thing I have found in my various tests is that *ALL* encapsulated CFLs suck. Open CFLs seem to have no issues and I've not experiences short CFL life as some people report, and that is with many brands of CFL and in several different physical locations in different towns and states.