Leaving home empty with ceiling fans on

Page 2 of 2
Jim Yanik wrote:

So, the electric companies are lying to you?

No,they are thinking about conserving electricity usage,while others are concerned about their home's environment despite a slightly higher electric bill.They might choose to economize or conserve elsewhere;different priorities.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Ah, yeah, sure, whatever you say. Bhaaaawwwwaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

But if the AC is on, how humid can it be in the room?

Energy leaking windows, doors and lack of insulation will cost you more than running fans constantly . I run five ceiling fans year around. I also use two more outside under the patio.
Oren
I also use two more outside under the patio.
Can you feel them from down there? :-)
On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 13:56:27 -0500, "PanHandler"

When I rotate the fan blades from up to down <grin>.
Fix your quote button.
Oren
Oh pshaw, on Fri 04 Aug 2006 10:35:11a, JimL meant to say...

It is even cheaper to leave the ceiling fans AND the a/c off. Both increase your electric bill.
--
Wayne Boatwright
On 5 Aug 2006 16:29:30 +0200, Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

I tried to convince the woman of the house of that a few years ago. She thinks her piano will be damaged if she lets the house get hot. She also has some sort of humidifier or heater/humidifier she uses in the winter (I hope she turns it off in the summer.) to keep the piano from getting to dry.
My piano, a baby grand, is maybe 70 years old, maybe more, and no one -- including my own very thrifty mother, who was especially good about not damaging things -- has ever done anything to protect it from temp*** or humidity or lack of it, and it is fine.** ***Of course the furnace was set to 50 or 60 when we went out of town in the winter, but that was more for the water pipes than the piano.
They are a very thrifty family otherwise. No fancy vacations, no cruises, they just drive to the midwest to visit family once a year. (Although this year only there was another one 10 day vacation to see their son overseas.)
Anyhow, I made my point about the AC and she was totally unmoved. If I hadn't said anything before about the AC, I wouldn't have felt the need to be so well prepared when I tell her it is a waste to run the fans. I'm still scared to raise the topic, but I will. It's a waste in 3 different ways to run the fans when no one is there. 4 if you count wearing out the fans. This woman has two PhD's and she not stupid either, so I still expect she'll have thought of a reason it is a good idea to run the fans, and she'll give me that cold look/cold tone of voice she has when she contradicts someone. Otherwise she's very nice. :) And so is her husband and kids, who I do things with.
**I used to tune it twice a year, because of weather changes, but even if one doesn't, it can be brought up to tune after years by tuning it twice. (The strings are tightened most of the way the first time through, and the tension on the strings is kept even to not damage the harp. Then it is tuned again -- it can be right away, a minute later -- to get the strings fully tight and the pitches fully right.)
On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 17:10:45 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

I meant, Is there any good reason for my friends to run the fans when they are out of town? Sorry about that.
There was no one there. I can see now how it reads as if the dog was there -- sorry about that -=- but she's doesn't come up as high as the thermostat mounted on the wall.

So it should be cooler at "dog height" then thermostat height, right??
T.J. Palvino

So it should be cooler at "dog height" then thermostat height, right??
T.J. Palvino
On 4 Aug 2006 15:25:52 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Yes, I think you're right. Another reason not to run the fans when no one taller is home.
(Originally they wanted me to leave the dog at their house and come over 3 times a day. It's only 4 minutes by car, but I was smart enough to say no to that.)