Leave furnace blower running 24/7?

Page 2 of 2
my only thought is that if you do this, dont get some super hepa filter for the thing. those things add a lot of work to the motor. if you want a true filtration system get one. but just for your stated purpose, i dont see a problem.
randy

I generally buy the better quality filters that run $3-5 each, not the $0.50 blue fiberglass ones. Since we have a dog, better filtration is required. I'd considered electrostatic, but won't go Hepa due to cost and it's probably not necessary either. I hadn't figured on the motor working harder trying to pull air through the Hepa filter, but good point there.
DesignGuy, or anyone:
The red Filtrete (3M) filter (MERV; $9.xx at Lowe's) was what was in place when we moved into this house six months ago, and we have bought a couple more. A local store had the purple Filtrete on sale (MERV; sale price approx. $10 instead of the usual $15+) a while back. and we bought a couple of those but haven't used one yet.
Other family members have severe allergy problems, so we've continued buying comparatively expensive filters.
Are we wasting our money?
MB
On 05/15/04 10:26 am DesignGuy put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:
>>my only thought is that if you do this, dont get some super hepa filter

imho the 10$ filters is the best price range to be in. they actually seem to do a decent job of getting rid of some stuff from the air. the el cheapos are only good for keeping the cat out of the furnace should it somehow get in the duct. the expensive ones seem to me like a waste because if you really need a good air filtration system, you need to add a seperate unit to your current system or get a dedicated standalone unit.
i had one of those washable 'electrostatic' type ones in a house i lived in a while back. cost about 16$ i think with a plastic frame. when i need to replace what i have thats probably what ill go with. washed it about once a month and you wouldnt believe what came out of it.
randy