Leaky old American Standard tub faucet

We bought a new Hot/Cold stem 11k-3H/C and a Hot Stem 1Z-6H. We are having the toughest time trying to put it in. The guy from the plumbing supply store said it's really tricky and many experienced plumbers have a hard time getting it right. Every time we tighten it the handle just turns and turns but never tightens. Does anyone know of a site where I can get step by step instructions on installing this faucet handle?

Reply to
Joe

What an odd question. Didn't it come with instructions? How about a toll-free tech support number?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Or, go get a Moen faucet and experience true happiness. The instructions are "international", mostly pictures, but they're very well done. Their tech support is superb, too.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Just curious what's the brand again? I would return it and get another one...

Reply to
Carpenter

First he said American Standard, and then Danco. They have a cheesy web site, but no phone number or address. American Standard has a site, but it was designed by a border collie on acid. Neither company deserves his business.

He should return the faucet and get a Moen.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You're not carefully reading the original post.

He said TUB faucet. That means it's probably in the wall, behind tile or some other tub liner. I'd sure try to repair it too rather than tear the wall apart to install your recommended Moen faucet.

WHY do folks on here generally suggest the most EXPENSIVE solution?

BTW, Danco makes replacement valve stems for all major brands of faucets. Danco is not a faucet brand, it's a parts maker/distributer.

If the faucet still leaks after replacing the stems, I suspect that the valve seats are worn. With the stems out, look into the valve with a flashlight, examining the surface of the seat. The seat is the disk at the bottom of the valve well that the washer contacts. It's often worn and sometimes if you run your fingernail around its rim, you can feel a groove or pit.

Seat resurfacing tools exist that can be used to ginds the pits or grooves out of the seat. However, that takes a lot of luck or patience.

Plumbing supply places sell seat removal tools. They look like a multisized Allen wrench with a right angle bend. If the seats are bad, they can be removed with that tool. Replacements can be purchased at the same plumbing supply house where you bought the stems.

Good luck!

Doug

Reply to
Doug

You're right - I read too fast. As far as the expensive solution, I'm a strong believer in buying from companies which consistently prove that they want happy customers by going over the top in terms of service, quality of products, and quality of printed materials included with the products. Add one modern item to this list: Quality of information available via their web site. Moen fits all these criteria.

I did this a few months ago, but the previous owner must've gotten brutal when he installed the old seats because the gripping surface was worn smooth. The removal tool wouldn't do a thing. The plumbing supply sold me one of these little miracles:

Before being aware of this kind of tool, I was envisioning a long weekend involving explosives.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You are right, Moen is a qualiy company with quality products. Indeed Moen himself invented the single handled faucet.

However, whether or not Moen is quality is irrelevent. Replacing the original posters faucet with a Moen didn't service his need or problem. I'm sure he is trying to avoid tearing apart his tube wall.

As for my comment about too many folks on here offering the most expensive solution, it seems to me that folks ask for advise on here out of a spirit of do-it-yourself independance and/or wanting to save money,. Saving money is not a terrible goal in this day and age. Also, I think it's great to fix the old rather than constantly buy new and add to our landfills increasing the concept of our disposable society.

However, I freely admit that if everyone was like me, most companies making new products would soon go out of business... :-)

Doug

Reply to
Doug