leaky laundry faucet

Hi,

I just got a new washer and I've noticed that there is a very slow leak coming from the faucet. I don't know specifically where the leak is coming from, but the faucet was not leaking during the time there was no washer present (and thus the faucet was shut off).

Does anyone have any suggestions how to diagnose this problem?

Thanks, Tony

Reply to
Tony Tung

A few things.

New washer. New hose? If yes it most likely it isn't the rubber ring inside the hose connection but make sure it is tight. A quarter turn with pliers is far better than finger tight. If this is the cause the leak will be around the hose threads or where the hose changes from brass to hose.

If it is coming from the faucet, it is most likely a loose packing nut. This leak will usually show as a small drip around where the stem of the faucet enters the valve body. This is the nut that sits between the hose connection and the faucet body. Usually a quarter turn or less is all that is required to stop the drip. This is the most likely place if you have a completely new install.

To figure out where it is, dry all parts with paper towels and observe. For really slow leaks use toilet tissue placed around the parts and see which part shows moisture or evidence of moisture.

Happy hunting

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

By washer I assume you mean washing machine rather than the little rubber gasket that slips into the end of the hose. I also assume your washing machine has two hoses going to two hose bibs.

First thing to do is to try turning knob on the hose bib all the way on. if it still drips, try tightening the packing nut. That is the nut that the valve stem goes through. If that does not stop the leak turn off the water main, loosen both packing nuts and unscrew the stems. Take them to the hardware store and get new washers and packing for the stems.

In the alternative remove the whole hose bib and replace it. I personally do not like hose bibs and replace them with ball valves. The first option will be cheaper and easier especially if you have copper pipe.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Hi,

Just so I don't get things messed up, I assume that the packing nut is "nut #1" in

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks! Tony

Reply to
Tony Tung

Yes, #1 is the packing nut. You might be ahead of the game if you take off the whole valve and bring it to a good hardware store.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Thanks for your help. Tightening the packing nut did the trick.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Tung