Leaf guards for gutters.

Page 2 of 2

house,
We're in the same town, and interestingly enough, I found what I think is the same stuff. Can't recall if it was Lowes or HD, I imagine they have near-identical products with different stamps on them.
My neighborhood now has no overhead Doug Firs, so I have opted for the single "layer" version with the larger holes. With the variety of leaves that we do have, it seems to work beautifully. One weekend of climbing around and I haven't had to clean gutters in the two years since.
I'm in a side-by-side dual home unit, and my neighbor had the LeafGuard system installed on his place. We both seem to have similar results, I beleive my solution was just slightly cheaper ;-)
Leafguard gutters have been working perfectly on my house for 10 years now without cleaning.

I found this forum discussion particularly useful... http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id !5847
I suspect I would have most of the problems people mention.
I'm coming into this discussion late and don't know if anyone has mentioned this: http://www.irobot.com/sp.cfm?pageid54
Anyone have one?
bonnie in ok

When you are evaluating what system to use, depending on where you live, ask about icicles. I live in northern Ohio and had a system called K-guard installed, which was similar to Leaf-Guard in design. With the old traditional gutter system, I never had icicles on my gutters. However, with the K- Guard, on the south-southwest faces of my home, I developed very large icicles, 3' to 5' long during the winter on "warmer" days and cold nights. The icicles ocurred on both an unheated garage and a well insulated part of the house. I've since moved and chose a system made by Alcoa on my new home. This system was installed with new gutters being installed on the house and is similar to the plastic insert type sold for self installation at a Home Depot type store, but with very small holes and made from aluminum. After 3 years, the system has worked very well, with minimal debris sticking in the holes and no problems with icicles.