lazy toilet

I have a toilet ( approx 40 years old ) original to house. Lately it has took two or three flushes to move solids out. I can pour a bucket of water in it and it works perfectly. I am thinking maybe the holes around the rim or stopped up ???? I do not use any of the blue stuff. How would you open the rim holes up ?
thanks
Mike Lane
On Sep 14, 6:29 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Michael Lane) wrote:

I would be willing to bet that there is something blocking the trapway of the toilet, which is small enough to allow liquids to pass without much resistance. I am a landlord and deal with this type of issue all the time.
If the toilet is really 40 years old, it is wasting lots of water. You might want to consider replacing it.
JK
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 13:32:14 -0000, Big_Jake

Ditto. I once had the same problem cause by a piece of dental floss.
Caesar Romano wrote:

Any Idea WHAT the dental floss got hung up on? I can't picture it.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
on 9/14/2007 4:33 PM Jeff Wisnia said the following:

It got hung up on a dinner fork in the trap. :-)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 18:04:09 -0400, willshak wrote:

Another common flush problem are those who toss Q-Tips down the crapper.
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 16:33:18 -0400, Jeff Wisnia

No, I couldn't determine what caught the floss. I couldn't even see it. I knew something must be causing a blockage, because an empty bowl would flush fine, but if any solids were in the bowl, it would start to back up.
I pulled the toilet and looked in it from the bottom and couldn't see anything in there!! WTF? I was expecting to see a pencil or *something*!! I put my hand in and felt around, and there it was: a piece of string.
It was hung up on something, but I don't know what. I pulled it out and it was dental floss.

One of my kids once tried to flush a toilet paper roll. It lodged vertically in the bottom of the toilet just above the stack. Fluids flushed right past, but solids got hung up and around it. Do I have to describe what it looked like when I pulled the toilet?
Get you about a 4" length of old speedometer cable, put it in your drill and turn it in a direction that won't unravel it. put it in each hole and give it hell. Also, the hole at the very bottom of the bowl is critical to proper siphoning. It will be the one that is clogged up the worst.
steve

Michael Lane wrote:

metal coat hanger, just cut it bend it and twist it until you get the right angle to poke with. I'm not sure what to do if the rim itself is clogged.
Clark
On Sep 14, 7:29?am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Michael Lane) wrote:

yeah interior passages are clogged.
buy a bottle of muriatic acid, and a funnel. wear safety glasses, open window or turn on bath exhaust fan, best to plunge toilet and empty bowl for best job but not critical.
put funnel in dip tube opening, the pipe sticking up in the tank that has a little water tube running to it.
carefully pour about a quart of acid in funnel down tube, avoid splashing. best to take a deep breathe and hold it right before pouring,
now get out of there shut door, wait 15 minutes and flush a couple times,
now repeat.
flush like 20 times after second treatment to dilute and clear acid in all drain lines.
your done.
hard water clogs the interior passages and openings. i have done this myself here and for friends works every time.
always add acid to water NEVER the other way around!!!

the water from the bowl rim cause a wave that actually flushes the toilet.
acid is quick easy cheap fix under 10 bucks for acid and funnel