laying ceramic tile

Hello, is it wise to lay tile over existing tile? I have 12x12 down in my kitchen but would like to expand it into my den with 16x16 tile layed over the 12x12, i no longer can find the pattern of my old tile. So people say yes you can and other say they have the old tile taken up. HELP

Reply to
comerpa

well, i'm not a tiler, but...i think you should do the right thing and pull up the old tile. putting new tile over old sounds real sketchy. MAYBE it would work, but why go through all the work of tiling only to have it fail? then what? pull it all up and redo? do it right the first time and you won't have to worry about it.

Reply to
marson

Reply to
comerpa

THANKS, It does sound like a wise thing to do and not to worry about it later

Reply to
comerpa

Now, why would it ever fail? Maybe your wood floors underneath are rotting and there is lots of movement. Otherwise, do what is easiest.

Reply to
jiml