Lawn mower poor start. Spark plug new, old one works good.

I have a 6hp lawn mower (2 year old) that is very difficult to start in spring and fall, even in the summer it takes 6 tries to start (and 2 times priming it). If I switch spark plugs with my old lawn mower it works great. I checked the gap is the same. The plug looks clean, but I sand it down just to make sure no carbon left on it. Any ideas? Thanks
lbbss wrote:

Replace it...

Continue using the plug that works better.
What happens with the new plug in the old mower?
Sounds like a bad plug... Get another?

Replace the mower. Most sparkplugs are now lifetime sparkplugs, and if the sparkplug doesn't work, your mower has reached the limit of its lifetime...
I might be frugal, but I'm not going to dick around with a $2.00 sparkplug that has no user serviceable parts inside. I'd sport for a new one.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Lawn mowers don't typically use the long life platinum or iridium plugs that modern cars use. Why bother when there are sub $2 replacments out there?

Well - the gap is user serviceable. Other than that, scraping off the oxide layer wouldn't seem to be terribly useful. It'll just grow back as soon as the mower is started.

===> That's not right; especially considering he has demonstrated that a different plug works differently in the machine. The other plug is pretyt likely even the same plug number considering where it came from, but the OP didn't say. First a new plug is in order.

===> I don't consider that frugal; I consider it wasteful to buy a new mower when a spark plug is likely all that's needed. You sound like the cattle dealer I worked for as a kid; he bought a brand new Cadillac every year, paid the diff each time in cash. He did that because he wouldn't bother with maintenance on a car in any way. The second owner got a great deal but they also got a car with 50,000 miles on the original showroom oil. His handy man kept the tires inflated and hosed the mud off periodically.
pop

Bad plug? Sometimes they do go. The insulator might be cracked, there might be a bad conductor somewhere inside, who knows?
Buy a new plug, making sure you get the right one for that motor.
Pagan

Nothing smells like Ether in the morning :)
is one plug a "resistor type" ?
why don't you hook up the plug without screwing it into the cylinder but do ground it ot the engine and see how each on sparks when you pull the rope.
Make SURE there is no gas around when you try this.
Mark
Champion h ad a run of bad spark plugs for awhile. Try NGC, or AC Delco.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Stormin Mormon" Brainless idiot and follower of sheep

>===> I don't consider that frugal; I consider it >> wasteful to buy a new mower when a spark plug is likely >> all that's needed. >> You sound like the cattle dealer I worked for as a >> kid; he bought a brand new Cadillac every year, paid >> the diff each time in cash. He did that because he >> wouldn't bother with maintenance on a car in any way. >> The second owner got a great deal but they also got a >> car with 50,000 miles on the original showroom oil. >> His handy man kept the tires inflated and hosed the mud >> off periodically. >> >> pop >>
Gee, that guy drove 50,000 miles per year? Yeah, uh huh.....

Not sure why you'd doubt that; it's pretty easy to do, especially for a cattle dealer. He drove everywhere and drove fast and hard. I only personally the speedometer on one of his traded cars once, and it was at 52,xxx miles. I asked to see it because the dealer said it was the highest mileage he'd evern seen on a 14 month old (I think that was it) car. I just happened to be buying a car at the time. Obviously, 50k has a +/-, but his cars were srot of a legend around here. He'd drive from here to Chicago and then down to Texas and back without even thinking about it. This is far upstate NY, on the St. Lawrence River. Guess I do have to admit that the mileage is only that of the drive wheels; they're often a different mileage than the other two <g>. I swear, he must have put ten miles on it once, just driving me the mile it took out across a freshly combined oat field to get to his workmen. It's amazing how smooth a caddy is in an oat field at 60 mph when it gets less hilly, know that? <g>. Oh! And you should have seen it anytime he buried it in the mud or snow! He was an expert at rocking an automatic transmission in the mud at what sounded like almost full throttle! The dealer brought HIM the cars; he never went to the dealer's to look at them. He claimed the only thing he insisted on was the "best tires in town" once. I was just a kid at the time (he was an old man, now passed away) and he's still the most interesting (weirdest and most fun) person I ever worked for!
Sorry if you wanna be a ball buster; I thought it was interesting. Flame away - if you wish - no skin off my nose. Personally I enjoyed the trip down memory lane.
Pop
Pop wrote:

Me a ball buster? Neeeeever. But 50K/year sounded a tad unlikely and I wanted to hear a bit more. Myself, I only put 3500 miles per year on my car and any more than that seems like a lot (to me, anyway). Cool story!
- Logic316
"Members of society must obey the law because they personally believe that its commands are justified."     -- Judge David Bazelon - Questioning Authority: Justice and Criminal Law

Yeah, experience counts heavily in our lives, doesn't it? We lived in Ca when we bought our first car, a 1968 Mustang/Shelby package Grand Touring California Special for a whopping $3,200! As you may know, you don't walk anywhere out there; you drive. In the first three months we put 21,000 mies on it and the dealer just loved us! And the cost of gas in those days was negligible of course. Then, the 4th month I was discharged from the Navy, and we drove another 11,000 miles in getting from San Diego up to LA and meandered across the states to our home in far upstate NY. AFter vacationing awhile at "home" we moved to Chgo where we'd then drive back home four or five times a year, abt 750 miles on 90 and 8xx if we took the Canadian way on the 401, which was faster, but longer. It reached a hundred grand pretty quick and being an apartment dweller we had no place and no money to store it, so we traded it in on a station wagon since we were starting our family. I've kicked myself ever since for not bringing that car home and just "parking" it somewhere in a field or barn or something; never even thought of doing that back then! Now we hit a lot less than 9,000 on the two cars we have combined!!
Ain't life strange? I want my GTCS back! Never even laid eyes on another one in this part of the country and only once in Chgo. Memories ...
Pop