Lawn mower and diesel?

If one were to mistakenly put diesel fuel into a lawn mower that would normally require gasoline, what would be the result?
Ashby
I presume you mean put it in the gasoline tank?
If the motor was already warm, it might continue to run. However, it wouldn't restart if cold. You'd have to drain out the diesel and replace with gasoline to get it running again.
No major damage.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Yes. That is exactly my problem. Thank you sooooo much.
Ashby
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

It will not hut it, it's just oil. However the mower is not going to run long on it.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
On Tue, 03 May 2005 01:29:39 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

It doesn't appear to have hurt it (well, besides it quit running and flat out refused to restart), but it sure was belching smoke and generally complaining a bit. It took a couple of pumps on the button and restarts for it to run smoothly.
I am so relieved as I have a bit of a knack for making machines inoperable.
Ashby

No permanent damage, and depending on the make/model of the engine, mayby an hour or so of cleanup & flushing time to restore to running condition.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
Actually, adding kerosene or diesel to a gas motor would do a lot to clean out the motor, that's what engine degreaser is made of, but you wouldn't get it started and running until the tank is drained out and gasoline is flushed back into the lines and tank. Nothing would damage it, though. Maybe smoke a little out of the exhaust until the residual diesel burns off.

My FIL put kerosene into a gas lawnmower, by mistake. The funny thing is that, since it was hot when he did it, it ran just fine and he finished mowing the lawn. After that, it would not start. I had to take it apart and wash the carb parts in gasoline.

I accidentally poured about 3 gallons of diesel fuel in my gasoline car some years ago. The car only had at most 2 gallons of gas in it. It ran like crap, smoked a lot, but did get me to the nearest town (15 miles away). Then I filled the tank with gas and the car ran better but still smoked a little. I never drained the tank or anything. After a few fills of gas, the diesel was gone and the car ran fine. Nothing was damaged. The car was an old late 60's chevy with carb. I dont know what would happen with modern fuel injection.
I think I'd just drain the mower tank, and then fill it with gas. It might be a little sluggish for a few minutes from the diesel in the lines and carb, but sould be fine after that.
Mark

snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

It would be more of a problem to the converter, that might be damaged in a modern car.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit