lawn mower

My lawn mower works for awhile, starts to sputter but still works and then no longer works. I have brand new gas, there is a lot of stabil in it, and the tank looks clean. I have replaced the spark plug. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

My suggestion is to state the brand and model of the motor next time you ask a motor-specific question.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

gas cap vent hole plugged

Reply to
Mark

I had a mower that did that. Turned out to be a fair amount of water in the bottom of the carburetor bowl. Some mowers have carbs with bowls and some don't. Mine was a Sears brand, don't recall the brand of the engine it used. It must have had some water in the gas tank too as it did the same thing the next time I used it. Solution was the same, drain the bowl. Was ok after that.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I had a problem with my lawn tractor; it would only run when the choke was out. I posted here recently and there were many good suggestions on what to try. Turns out the fuel shut-off solenoid was bad; don't know if your engi ne has that on it, but that's a last resort.

Reply to
Pavel314

add a little 2% or so alcohol to dissove any possible water in the gas.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I suggest that you write a post which tells us the make, model, horse power, type and brand of engine, how long is "for a while", and what you have tried so far. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus

. . "Kurt Ullman" wrote in message news:gpCdnUUL0q-syRDMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com... My lawn mower works for awhile, starts to sputter but still works and then no longer works. I have brand new gas, there is a lot of stabil in it, and the tank looks clean. I have replaced the spark plug. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

add a little 2% or so alcohol to dissove any possible water in the gas.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

snipped-for-privacy@b2g2000yqe.googlegroups.com...

pure 100% alcohol, at about 2% of the volume of gas it is added to.

Reply to
hrhofmann

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@b2g2000yqe.googlegroups.com...

Might make it 12%

Greg

Reply to
gregz

For small tanks that are easy to drain and bowls that are easy to remove, just drain the old gas.

Now if it was a car or truck, the alcohol would be easier.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Might make it 12%

Greg

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And acetone would be better (water is soluable in acetone).

Reply to
HeyBub

I just did that and it didn't seem like there was a lot of water in the gas. I'll try to run it today to see if that works before taking it in. Thanks for the assist.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

100% pure alcohol does not exist "in the wild" and is pretty hard to buy anywhere.
Reply to
clare

The carb bowl did not do any good after all. As per usual, it started, I was able to mow for about 10 minutes, it sputtered for about another minute and then shut down entirely. IT is a 139 cc PowerMore engine on an MTD self-propelled mower. Only about 2.5 years old.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

100% pure alcohol does not exist "in the wild" and is pretty hard to buy anywhere.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

diy savant

Any water is too much water!!!!