lawn mower

Page 1 of 2
My lawn mower works for awhile, starts to sputter but still works and then no longer works. I have brand new gas, there is a lot of stabil in it, and the tank looks clean. I have replaced the spark plug. Any suggestions?
On 05/10/2013 01:10 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

My suggestion is to state the brand and model of the motor next time you ask a motor-specific question.
Jon

gas cap vent hole plugged

I had a mower that did that. Turned out to be a fair amount of water in the bottom of the carburetor bowl. Some mowers have carbs with bowls and some don't. Mine was a Sears brand, don't recall the brand of the engine it used. It must have had some water in the gas tank too as it did the same thing the next time I used it. Solution was the same, drain the bowl. Was ok after that.

add a little 2% or so alcohol to dissove any possible water in the gas.
Would that be a solution of 2% alcohol in water? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
add a little 2% or so alcohol to dissove any possible water in the gas.

pure 100% alcohol, at about 2% of the volume of gas it is added to.

Might make it 12%
Greg
And we can invent a catchy name for it. How about "gasohol"? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
rg...

gas.

Might make it 12%
Greg
On Sat, 11 May 2013 06:40:39 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

100% pure alcohol does not exist "in the wild" and is pretty hard to buy anywhere.
The carb bowl did not do any good after all. As per usual, it started, I was able to mow for about 10 minutes, it sputtered for about another minute and then shut down entirely. IT is a 139 cc PowerMore engine on an MTD self-propelled mower. Only about 2.5 years old.
On 5/11/2013 10:12 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Air filter dirty?

Nah. One of the first things I looked at.

Cool. Only the first 3 were included in the manual and it never occurred to me that the website would be different. (Although I did figure out the water or dirt part on my own-grin).
Valve clearance. Bad oil. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

Cool. Only the first 3 were included in the manual and it never occurred to me that the website would be different. (Although I did figure out the water or dirt part on my own-grin).

On that engine it could be anything - Chinese engine with short history.
Valve clearance. (very likely) Bad motor oil. (less likely) . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

about

We should empanel National Geographic to study the matter. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

100% pure alcohol does not exist "in the wild" and is pretty hard to buy anywhere.
http://www.fuel-testers.com/expiration_of_ethanol_gas.html

For small tanks that are easy to drain and bowls that are easy to remove, just drain the old gas.
Now if it was a car or truck, the alcohol would be easier.