Lawn Mower

Page 1 of 3
Looking for informed opinions on Troy Bilt lawn mowers. Have the opportunity to purchase a couple of different models on sale. Both are in models with Honda 160cc motors. One is a push the other is a self propelled.
On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 17:38:21 -0300, "don &/or Lucille"

I don't know much about Troybuilt, but Honda makes a decent engine.

Troybilt today is not the troybilt of yesterday. It has been taken over by MTD and cheapened like everything else they make.

Check May's issue of Consumer's Report--whole section on lawn mowers. Push mowers: Troy-Bilt TB-110 11A-A23N is listed 3rd out of 19 (Best Buy). Troy-Bilt 11A-B29Q is listed 9th (Recommended). Self propelled models, (Multi-speed) are 9th, 10th, 18th, 21st, 23rd and 24th out of 28. (Single Speed) 10th out of 13. None of the Self propelled have a Best Buy or Recommended notation. I think that Lowes sells this brand. Craftsman models are right up there with Troy-Bilt MLD
On 4/18/2012 6:02 PM, MLD wrote:

I thought Craftsman was made by Troy-Bilt's parent MTD? They should be very similar.
On 4/18/2012 4:38 PM, don &/or Lucille wrote:

Troy Bilt is prolly one of the better Chinese brands.
Don't worry about the trade deficit, your grandchildren can pay it off.
On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 21:03:56 -0400, Sum Ting Wong

You mean we should buy American? The last John Deere I bought had a Kawasaki engine.
On 4/18/2012 9:43 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My John Deere has a BS engine but the whole mower/tractor is junk. I want to purchase a MTD with a Honda engine....seems like the best combination.

For the best mower buy Honda. Of course that is not US made.
Harry K
On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 20:26:28 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

Don't bet on it, Harry. Interesting to observe, NO Honda Lawn Mowers are built in Japan.
From Honda Power's web-site: Honda manufactures approximately 500 thousand lawnmowers per year in the United States, France, Australia, China and Italy*, and supplies them to Australia and other countries in addition to the two largest markets: North America and Europe. Local production began at an early stage, starting in the United States in 1984 and in France in 1986,
On Apr 18, 8:49pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Interesting. I bought my first one 40 years ago, wore the rubbers off the drive wheels twice, replaced one spark plug and a clutch cable. Still usign it as my trim mower (bought at rider 5 years ago), still starts first pull every time. Of course that is the "good" Honda engine, not the cheapened version you see on non-Honda badged products. That may have been Japanese origin. Dunno if Honda had any production facitlty for mowers here at that time - probably did as Honda bikes were everywhere.
I bought another one back in the late 90s figuring it to replace the origintl "when it wers out". Used it twice and it is now mothballed in the shed.
Harry K

Honda engines sold in America are almost all made in America. Kaws are not as far as I know - but you can't say just by the name where something is made any more.
On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 23:45:22 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

My car is 48% US parts and assembled in the US. Last time I was looking at forklift trucks, I narrowed the choice to the Japanese brand made in the US or the US brand with the Japanese engine.
On 4/18/2012 10:43 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The Kohler Command Pro engine on my Exmark was made in the USA.
Excellent motor too!

I do a lot of work on small engines. Mostly Motorcycles and ATV's, but I do get a lot of mowers too. Here's my take........
Whether it is a Briggs engine or a Honda engine doesn't matter if you do the required maintenance and do it properly. If you are the type of person that don't do the maintenence, again, it doesn't matter because ti will blow up anyway. Only you can make that call. Engines when properly maintained, will out live the rest of the mower.
The things that do go wrong with push mowers are mainly wheels and rusted bodys. Bodys need cleaned and wheels need lubed. The thicker the metal is, the longer it will take to rust out ( if that could be a concern).
Push vs sef-propelled......... You're not getting any younger. So if you plan on staying in the house where you are for many years to come, get the self-propelled. You'll thank me later. However, if you plan on moving into a condo in the next couple years, get the push.
Hank <~~~~ just using logic

My first mower was self propelled and it was just another source of problems. It had to be fixed twice and the last time I just gave up and pushed. Next mower was push and it is easier to push a push mower than a broken self propelled.
Bought a new mower last year at age 65 and got the self propelled again.

I turn 64 next month. Most things I buy today will last longer than I will. It's funny how our logic changes as we age. :-)
Hank

Hank, you are RIGHT. I'm a bit younger tho not much and when I hear that some item I'm buying carries a lifetime warrantee, I chuckle inside because I ask myself... my life or theirs? Never did this before so age does bring a different outlook on things.

My "antique" lawn mower is a self propelled high-wheeler. The highwheel is very easy to push, so I very seldom actually use the self propelled feature. I generally mow faster than the self propelled will go. It is a 25 incher with 20 inch bicycle tires on the back - tubular steel frame - and the old deck rusted trough so I installed stainless steel. The late sixties/early seventies Briggs 3.5HP motor (same size as a 5) finally died last year so I installed a "chinese kit engine" honda clone 6.5 HP OHV. Uses less gas than the old 3.5. At 60, this mower has a good chance of outlasting me.

When it came time for a new roof a few years back, I had a choice of 20 year or 30 year shingles. I rolled the dice and figured the 30 year may outlast me and I'd not want to have that expense replacing the 20 year when I'm retired and in my late 70's.