Lawn care goes hi-tech

Page 4 of 6

Yeah...that's a real toughy
http://tinyurl.com/2doqw3s
I think I've heard enough from you:
Good Day

Apparently you have a reading comprehension problem. What part of "the majority of the road signs in the U.S. consist of English text only" are you having trouble understanding?
Sure, nearly everyone will understand the pictorial sign shown in your link. But that's not what I said. What of a sign that says "No Left Turn"? Not one with a picture. One with English text. What do you suppose a person who can't read English is going to make of that?

Perhaps if you paid more attention to what I have to say, you might learn something.
Or maybe not. You seem to be one of those fellows who thinks he already knows everything, and is therefore incapable of learning anything.
Too bad. But it's your loss, not mine, so I don't really care.
JimT wrote:

I know a fellow who drove into Mexico and upon seeing a sign that had "ALTO" on it, he stopped and started singing. Signs can confuse some people.
TDD

Around here a number of years ago, an elderly driver got confused at an interstate "clover leaf" intersection and somehow wound up going the wrong way on the interstate and hit another car head on causing several deaths. I was working the counter at the local gas and booze , er, I mean convenience store, at the time and an elderly person heard us talking about that accident. He piped up and said that those clover leaf intersections can be pretty confusing. I remember telling that person that if a driver can't figure out a simple cloverleaf intersection they should not be driving.
David
hibb wrote:

He should see some UK "roundabouts." Particularily this one:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/content/images/2007/10/22/msn_magic_roundabout_470x350.jpg

Yeah, I had a hard time finding my way to a church for a wedding in Boston a few years ago because I kept taking the wrong exit off of a roundabout. I did get out of Boston without anybody cussing me out because of my driving. I did see a couple of other folks get somebody totally pissed off tho.
HeyBub wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/content/images/2007/10/22/msn_magic_roundabout_470x350.jpg

Goofy Limeys, drive on the wrong side of the road anyway.
TDD

I've driven in other countries where I did not speak the language. Managed well enough that I got back home. We get truck drivers on occasion that don't speak English. We also get English speaking truck drivers that cannot read.

Same here. When I was planning a trip to Canada some years ago, a friend who knew that I don't speak French warned me to familiarize myself with the bilingual road signs in Ontario, because I wouldn't see anything but French in Quebec. He was right. I have no idea how to pronounce any of it, but at least I learned to read the French for things like no left turn, this exit, next exit, no parking, do not enter, and so on.

It's always mystified me why -- and how -- someone who can't read manages to get a driver's license.

Try giving them directions more complex than turn right at the light. There seems to be an influx of Russian speaking drivers in the past couple of years. Most at least try to speak English. The Frenchies from Quebec though, are often arrogant and will not try. Of course, that goes for many Americans travelling to other countries too.

I blow my nose at you. I fart in your general direction.

Yes, that is about what they do. It is fun when you have an Ontario based Canadian and a Quebec driver. The animosity can be quite thick at times.
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 23:10:09 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

In ' 71 Germany:
Army deuce-n-half. Mission was deliver two jeeps and trade the truck in for an new five ton truck, They loaded one jeep in the bed and I pulled the other jeep vehicle.
On the Autobahn, they blew horns at 100 MPH, passing me> The one jeep lost a wheel.
I enjoy that memory. Both trucks had governors :-/
I never found that lost wheel......
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Liability insurance is mandatory. We even have Nazi/Commie roadblocks for the Polizi to check your papers. They will probably soon get the power to arrest illegal invaders and lock them away.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

This very day, the governor of Arizona signed into law a bill making it a crime to exist in the state without you having a civil right to be there - that is, one must be a citizen, legal immigrant, tourist, or visitor from outer space. Specifically, if you cannot prove to the satisfaction of the police that you are entitled by law to be where you are, the police MUST arrest you and dispose of you properly.
Failure of an individual officer to comply with this directive, or a department, or a city, WILL result in criminal sanctions against the reluctant entity.
HeyBub wrote:

You mean there are provisions to force the enforcer to enforce the law?! What an interesting and forceful use of the force of law against law enforcement.................... My head hurts.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Yes. There are things called "sanctuary cities" where, by edict, the city refuses to enforce applicable laws. San Francisco got hit last year by a court order demanding it turn over to ICE juveniles found to be felony violators. Prior to that, these gang members, et al, were told to go forth and sin no more.
HeyBub wrote:

Is that what a Writ of Mandamus is used for?
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Um, yeah. A Writ of Mandamus is a command by a court for a public official to perform his statutory duty.
The sanction, of course, is contempt of court and the official will be placed in a jail until he complies with the order of the court.
Most criminal laws state that an official will do "such and such" but there is no penalty should the official decline to perform his duty. That's where the mandamus business latches in.
The difference in the new Arizona law is that failure to follow the law is itself a violation of law and the chap who neglects to follow the law can be arrested.
HeyBub wrote:

Hasn't that been tried in relation to immigration law? I gave up years ago trying to get government officials to do their jobs. I reported to the FBI a crime committed by a LEO. The agents did their job, investigated and told me that yes the LEO did commit a crime. The FBI agents reported their findings to The US Attorney who's response was "We don't consider it a serious enough crime so we won't prosecute." I asked for a list of federal crimes that were not serious enough to prosecute so I could make it known to everyone but the feds declined my request. Funny thing happened some years later when a LEO political candidate did the same thing when he investigated voter fraud, it suddenly became a serious crime for which the LEO was prosecuted and imprisoned. Strange how that works.
TDD