No, they are life-saving for those who want to change. As a nurse, I worked in a detox/treatment center, back in the day when small towns' worst drug was marijuana. Had one patient that I recall used coke, and was a dealer. Had a local judge who gave folks with DUI's the choice between jail and rehab...there wasn't a heck of a lot of difference, other than the jail cell being locked. I'm sure there were loads of people who relapsed, but there were those who woke up and took the chance to change before they lost everything.
Most of the staff were recovering people, so it was pretty hard to BS them. One old Marine explained why so many people are on skid row, his theory being that they had nothing (more) to lose and knew what to expect each day.
The amazing discovery made by a lot of folks in recovery was that their troubles were not much different than those of other people drinking to cover up whatever. I guesstimate that 90% had history of pretty serious abuse as children and the other 10% probably couldn't bring themselves to speak of it yet. Pretty horrific experiences for many, and some started drinking/using at about age 8, although 12-14 was most common.
Lots of folks become institutionalized...can't/won't function where they must take some responsibility for themselves. Unfortunately, they usually reproduce.
Virtually all? You have got to be kidding...changed drugs, maybe.