Lawn boy mower leaking oil onto deck

My mower is leaking oil onto the top of the deck, but still running OK. I overfilled it a couple of weeks ago and then I tipped it to dump some out and brought it down to Full level. So I have used it a couple of times since then and both times, maybe about 1/4 cup - 1/2 cup of oil slowly leaked onto the deck while mowing. I can't quite tell where it is coming from, but possibly a seal near the base of the engine. I was getting ready to either take it in some place or tear into it myself, but it seems to be slowing, so I wondered if this was caused when I tipped it to drain some oil, and oil collected somewhere it wasn't supposed to. It is still at or near the full mark on the dipstick. Does this sound like a bad seal or something or just a temporary problem? thanks-

Reply to
Kelly

My guess is when you tried to dump some out, you did not get all of it off the mower and what you are seeing was some of the oil that came out, but you did not see.

Check the oil level. If it is not going down, it's fine. If the oil level is going down, make sure all the caps are back on in place and tight. If you still don't know, it is possible you damaged, it, but I really doubt it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

it's a techumseh engine right? the dipstick o-ring is leaking. depending on the year there was a thicker updated o -ring for these. go to a mower shop with the engine model and serial number and get the o-ring. Chip

Reply to
Chip Stein

Yes it's a Tecumseh, and it doesn't appear to be coming from the dipstick base - I've had it leak there before and just had to reseat it properly. but I just cleaned it up and I'm going to run it and see if I can get a better bead on where the leak is coming from if it still is, but I didn't see any oil right around that particular area. In response to the other gentleman's comment, it was definitely leaking new oil, a new puddle was forming as I was mowing. I'll keep checking for further inputs - Thanks for your help! Kelly

Reply to
Kelly

Update- problem solved itself. I cleaned it up then mowed my back yard yesterday and it did not leak any oil that I could see, except for a slight amount on the front of the engine casing, which may have been a spot I missed. I checked the oil level just before starting and it was just below full. The thing that makes me wonder is that I have had it slightly overfilled before with no problem. I also still suspect a leak from the engine casing rather than the dipstick base- because there is a split line about an inch (rough estimate) up from the deck in the engine casing and the oil was all over the side of the engine casing, not down by the dipstick. I could be wrong, though, leaks can trick you. However, bottom line is the problem was (apparently) caused by overfilling it and/or by tipping it, and is self-correcting. thanks -

Reply to
Kelly