latex paint

Page 1 of 2
i live in florida, my house has tile roof, I painted with BEAR red latex paint, now the home association want me to remove it, what product i can used ?
dee wrote:

You painted your tile roof with latex paint?

That's what he said :-) -- Oren
Oren wrote:

Well technically he said that his house has a tile roof and he painted something with latex paint, but we don't need to get too picky I guess.... lol

According to a "board member". Somebody in our HOA painted some portion of their house RED. The owner ignored letters to correct the CC&R violations. Eventually, there was a lien placed on the property. The HOA will collect if and when the owner sells the property.
-- Oren

fees. The HOA put a lien on the house. They followed up with the usual letters and the threats to forclose the lien. Eventually they did foreclose the lien and the house ended up in a foreclosure sale. Somebdy bought it for enough to satisfy the mortgage, taxes and what was owed to the HOA. It was the first time I got to go to a foreclosure sale. No, I wasn't a bidder. I lived next door to the property involved. This was in Florida. As you can see there was no need to wait for the owner to live up to his responsibilities or sell the property.
On Sun, 13 May 2007 15:54:36 -0400, "Charlie Bress"

In my HOA, the lien cannot be transferred to a new buyer by law. The owner can't escape the money owed and has to clear the lien. Our HOA can in fact make the corrections to an owner property and then add the cost to fines, etc, etc.
-- Oren

In Md. I think the lien has to be renewed periodically. Every two years? Without hiring my own lawyer, I haven't found out how we can foreclose on the lien. I assumed we could, but afaik, we never have.
From another post,

Oren, the other members of the board would much rather have the money than the money and som interest years from now. I don't get all upset when someone owes money, but even I would rather have the money now.
When we want to earn money, we buy a CD or something. A lot of people like their, and their HOA's, books to look clean, All the bills paid and everyone who owes us money having paid it. AND, they really resent that, in their view, some people don't think they have to pay the bills that all the other people pay.
I, myself, don't think that is the reason they haven't paid**. I do think some are very short-sighted and materialist, and if they would stop paying 40 dollars a month for a cell phone, or 40 dollars a month for cable, they could pay the 39 dollars a month HOA bill. But I'll bet at least half don't have cable or a cell phone anymore. But regardless, I figure as long as we get our money some day, plus interest, that's good enough for me.
**I got a traffic ticket once for driving through a gas station to bypass the light at the corner, when I was planning on turning right at the corner. At my hearing, the judge complained that I thought the laws didn't apply to me. But that wasn't it. The light and the narrow road leading up to it created a real bottleneck that made people wait through two or more lights to get the through the intersection. I thought I was doing everyone** a favor by going around it. And I would have advised everyone else in the same situation to do the same thing. **Everyone behind me then and for the rest of rush hour. I had made the line one car shorter for all those people.

In your CC&R's ? Looked back at mine. The HOA can foreclose on the lien and can actually bid at the foreclosure sale.
-- Oren

The house is messy again, but otoh, I was just given a second or third copy of the papers. I'll try to find them and look.

I have one paper copy; the management company for HOA put our CC&R online in PDF format.
The one flaw is I cannot word search the file. I've asked this to be corrected (restricted file).
Glad I took another read on lien/foreclosure. d8 -- Oren
I live in FL and have a tile roof which hasn't been painted since we moved in. Is there some reason why you cannot paint over the red latex paint? I think mine was painted with oil paint since almost everything else was painted with oils... but I thought you could paint over latex with oil.
My understanding about liens on houses is that the owner can sell a house with a lien on it (if someone wants to buy it) but the money owed the lien holder is taken out at closing and used to satisfy the lien so the buyer can get a clear title.

From '52-'89; living in FL I never saw a painted tile roof. It might happen today, but I never saw one! The one exception might be a white coat over a tar/roofing material to refract the FL sun.

In NV the lien has to released by the holder or otherwise cleared before closing. -- Oren
Rules vary by state and after some ridiculous actions by HOA's in some states many states have reduced their powers by law.

clipped

unpaid taxes, I believe. Homestead has to be primary residence, etc.

I understood (many moons ago); Florida's Homestead Exemption was to exempt $25,000.00 from taxation, not really to protect assets but to give a tax break on the 25K.
In NV we file a Declaration of Domicile establishing residence. My last understanding is it protects the home owner from having a home taken for owing debt (exclude mortgage lenders,tax). I mean an HOA cannot take the home due to fines, liens, etc. If they can pile up interest, why would they? (gotta check this again)
-- Oren

I don't know if it was homsteaded or not, but it damn sure was sold. The guy had moved out of the country and had someone (lawyer?) covering the first mortgage which also might have had the escrow account for taxes. I guess they didn't think the HOA could do anything. They were wrong. The couple that bought it fixed it up and sold it.
Charlie
Oren wrote:

"unusual" - color but doesn't specify. The city or county got after someone who painted "for sale" on their roof. Ennyhoo, the OP should read the HOA documents to see what the rules say. Latex paint on masonry is normal here, but not red. Probably need a couple of coats to cover it. If the documents don't disallow it, I would write a letter to appeal if I had my heart set on a red roof, in hopes it will be time to repaint before they get real serious.
In our condo, similar to many HOA's, we don't own the outside so would not be allowed to paint it. I should say, it is common area, not ours alone.

I use exterior latex on my "Taco Bell" looking stucco, but would never consider it (or any paint) for the Spanish type barrel tile on the roof.

Documents are important as you say. I've seem some Condo HOA's (Las Vegas) that do not maintain the outside; leaving outside paint and repair up to the owner.
Being from FL I never witnessed "painted tile" as a younger person.
I did see an HOA issue a fine, because the Boy Scouts set up tents to dry several tents; (Cape Coral, FL) after a camping trip. -- Oren

This should read City Ordinance[?] fine, not a HOA fine.
Opps!
-- Oren