lamp post bulbs keep blowing

Mutliple bulbs have blown (sometime literally) in my outside lamp post. I think it coresponds to electrical storms, but maybe not. Why would this occur? No other circuits in the house seem to be effected....
thanks
Rainwater will blow a lightbulb apart...cold water hitting a hot bulb will shatter it.... is you bulb inside out of the elements?....Jim

"Jim" <jim.morris> wrote in message

Mine weren't 'blowing' but were burning out far too often (two outside yard lights). I got tired of replacing bulbs so replaced them with compact flouros. Haven't had a problem since. I don't know if that would help you but it might be worth a try.
Harry K
MJH wrote:

Most likely rain water hitting the hot lamp. Fix the leak.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
MJH wrote:

Water seeping in causing the trouble? Tony

thicker glass or have a tough coating over the glass. Even if the bulb is sheltered, cool, moist air reaching the hot bulb will often crack the glass or shatter the bulb.
Paul
Thanks for the suggestions...have tried outdoor-rated and florescent bulbs--same result. The bulb is housed in a stardard lamp post housing. That's why I think it has something to do with electrical surges...?

MJH wrote:

About the only thing I can think of that would only effect that one lamp would be a floating neutral. There would also be the possibility of vibration. You may want to check that possibility out as well. Fan lights are more resistant to vibration, outdoor lamps made for that are more resistant to moisture and higher voltage lamps (you can get 130V or 220V lamps are more resistant to things like floating neutrals. A 220 volt lamp will burn a lot dimmer normally, but will not go out due to a floating neutral.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Interesting...I think I'll try a high voltage bulb. thanks

MJH wrote:

One additional suggestion. Make sure you don't have aluminum wiring. If you do, that could be the problem. If you have aluminum wire have a professional check it out. It is a possible hazard, not just a light problem. While it is possible to live safely with aluminum wire, it takes some special care.
If the high voltage bulb works, then you still have a problem and I would not want to ignore it.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
MJH wrote:

I can't imagine an electrical surge causing that unless it was a really BIG surge. The filament is in a vacuum, and pushing a lot of power through that filament it's going to blow a bulb, I would think. (I'm probably wrong, so a lot of people are probably going to pounce me for saying that...)
Are you sure no one is coming a busting your light? Like some punk kid? --Mike
Long before any surge damages a light bulb, many other household appliances are already damaged. Surge damage is mostly myth promoted by those who say, "I don't know what it is, therefore it must be a surge." Junk science reasoning combined with ignorance of how surges and electricity work. Don't fall for their speculations that are nothing more than promotions of ineffective, undersized, and overpriced products.
Joseph Meehan has posted typical reasons for bulb damage - 1) excessive voltage and 2) bulb vibration when bulb is hot. If a floating neutral raises the 120 VAC only to 127 VAC, then bulb life expectancy is one-half. Notice how little excessive voltage can seriously deteriorate a bulb. Bulbs made with extra tough filaments can be obtained to withstand vibration.
But surges as reason for light bulb failure (especially when nothing else is damaged) is typically based upon wild speculation, junk science, and myth. IOW not based upon facts or reality.