Laminate Backsplash over sheet rock

This past weekend I ripped up our dated pink tile countertops and backsplashes. I plan on putting in some pre-form laminate counter-tops with the attached 4 inch backsplashes. However the sheet-rock above the backsplash running up to the cabinets has seen better days and I think It would be a real pain to replace or patch it. I saw that Lowes has matching lengths of the laminate sheets that I would like to use to cover the entire area up to the cabinets. Can this be installed directly onto the sheet-rock with an adhesive? Has anyone had any experience doing this?

In my last house, not only did I do under cabinets, I did entire walls with adhesive. There are construction adhesives that will do a great job for that.
nice, that makes things easier.