Klink! Broken glass!

Bought two large, heavy glass water drinking glass, for candle holders. I had an emergency candle lit, in one. Candle leaning against the glass.
Klink! The uneven heat from the candle broke the glass. No damage, dollar glass went in the trash. No fire.
Learning moment. More dirt, around the base of the candle, and keep the candle centered.

Webster?
Dollar Tree.

Webster?

Darwin.

Look for some of the glass measuring cups the cooks use that are made out of the pyrex (or however you spell it). You also get a handle to carry it around with. Also some of the candles that are used as food warmers work fine for this. The ones that are about an inch or two in diameter and about half an inch thick.
Seriously good idea. I'd not considered that.
Will try it, and see how it goes. I do have a bunch of those "tea lights". Thank you.
Look for some of the glass measuring cups the cooks use that are made out of the pyrex (or however you spell it). You also get a handle to carry it around with. Also some of the candles that are used as food warmers work fine for this. The ones that are about an inch or two in diameter and about half an inch thick.
On Oct 30, 3:46am, "Stormin Mormon"

The candles are often for sale as 'votive' candles. They come with their own little metal cup and drop into glass containers made for them. Great for emergency lighting. and the little metal cup is 'refillable' for those really, really looking for a bargain.
I've seen votives, and also tea lights.
So far, no power out. Around me, one town had 40% or so of their residents, power out, last night. I'm hoping things go well. For me, and for others.
wrote in message
The candles are often for sale as 'votive' candles. They come with their own little metal cup and drop into glass containers made for them. Great for emergency lighting. and the little metal cup is 'refillable' for those really, really looking for a bargain.
On 10/30/2012 03:47 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Utter crap; not enough light, don't last long, and the wick gets funky halfway through.
I'm surprised you don't aren't making your own out of beeswax; it's extremely simple, and the beeswax candles don't put out carcinogenics and CO like the paraffin candles.
You basically need two non-consumable things for votives:
The mold: http://naturalcrafts.glorybee.com/shop/Metal-Votive-Mold-6-Cavity.html
The wick thingies: http://naturalcrafts.glorybee.com/shop/Votive-Wick-Pin.html
Then you get a bag of the wick holders: http://naturalcrafts.glorybee.com/shop/Round-Wick-Tabs.html
Complete your kit with some wick: http://naturalcrafts.glorybee.com/shop/HTP-Wicking-Medium.html
and beeswax: (I'll bet you have a local source for beeswax), I'm sure you already know about melting the wax with a double boiler (I use a big soup can in an old pot).
Once you make a batch, you'll never be out of candles, or quick gifts for Christmas/Birthdays. As a side benefit, chicks really dig a man who makes candles - seriously. ;->
Jon
Yeah, not enough light was my impression. I'm not going to invest in more candles. Going to oil lamps, and propane instead.
[...]
Ralph Mowery wrote:

Reminder: PYREX, like TSP, is a brand name as well as a process. That is, something made of paper may have a big logo touting "Pyrex," but that word does not mean what most people would think it means.