Kitchen Sink Spray Hose question...please help!

Having just moved into our first home last week I was eager to begin my weekend handyman career. I found great information in this newsgroup regarding leaky faucets, of which I had 4, to my suprise I was able to fix them all. With new found (probably highly misplaced) confidence I decided to tackle the non-operational spray hose on the kitchen sink.

It's previous behaivour (before I "fixed" it) was that if the faucet was running, pushing the lever on the spray hose would make a thump noise, the water would stop running out of the faucet and drip from the end of the spray hose. Releasing the lever on the spray hose would restore the water flow from the faucet.

So! I unscrewed the spray end from the hose, took a look inside expecting to find a blockage of some description, I didn't find anything so I screwed it back on to the hose. I then went to turn on the faucet, and instantly got the thump sound and no water coming out the faucet or the spray hose, bear in mind I don't have the lever down on the spray hose. Pressing the lever doesn't restore the flow to the faucet, so now I've got a broken spray hose, and 2 non-operational faucets, which eqautes to a useless kitchen sink. :-)

My wife was thrilled.

I tried unscrewing the hose where it couples onto the bottom of the sink and by shoving a screwdriver up the hole the water would come out of the faucet again, of course as soon as I let go of the screwdriver the water stopped coming out of the faucet, poured out the hole, and down my arm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'd like to get it fixed tonight, the prospect of another night in the dog house is not a welcome thought... :-)

Many thanks in advance!

Reply to
NotHandy

Home depot and lowes have replacment parts for the valve under the sink that you stuck the screw driver into.

You also might consider a new faucet where the sprayer and faucet are the same. The extra hole in the sink is filled with a soap dispenser also available at HD or Lowes. You will need a special wrench to remove and replace the faucet.

Reply to
Art

It was indeed the diverter valve, many thanks for the great advice, much appreciated!

Reply to
NotHandy