Kitchen remodel..Where to start???

With a contractor? With an architect? At Ikea?

or all of the above?

tj palvino

Reply to
tj.palvino

if your kitchen can still be used to cook, I would suggest to not start.

Ignoramus3077

Add to your list of possibles: Kitchen Designers.

Look at and collect photos of kitchens you like. Ask the owners about the designers. Write lists of what you like and don't like about your present kitchen. Think about what you are willing to spend, then choose a goal and a max you can afford. (renovations are good at uncovering problems and there is always the ripple effect.)

Take the photos and lists to a designer, architect, or kitchen designer. Look at what they have done and talk to some past clients. Don't be afraid to not choose someone because you don't like their work or their price. (I always like folk to tell me they are not going to use me.) OMHO, a careful builder will tell you to get a design before contracting with him. TB

Reply to
tbasc

You really don't need an architect for a kitchen. Unless you want something very elaborate and major changes.

You really don't want Ikea unless you want second or third rate cabinetry. Same with Home Depot & Lowes.

Most small towns and neighborhoods have very good kitchen design assistance at lumber yards or kitchen specialty contractors. If you buy the cabinets from them, the service is usually free. We have a local guy in town that does nothing but kitchens & baths and have a good reputation for many years. He says "most" jobs are $12 to $15,000 for good cabinets and countertop, but the same space can be down with a lower end but still good quality for 8 -

10 K. But you can also spend 50k for larger fancier kitchens. Set a budget first.

I've not hard many good stories about the big box stores.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Find out if a city permit is required!

Reply to
Martik

The answer depends on how much effort you want to put into it and how much you want to spend.

Ikea if you want a cheap DIY kitchen. (all millspride at home depot to that list)

A kitchen designer or contractor who specializes in kitchen remodeling if you want a turn key solution and pay top dollar for it.

HD to buy Kraftmade or Thomasville, a general contractor to install them and a stone contractor for the countertop and maybe the floor. A tile store for the floor and some DIY for the paint. Keep in mind you may also need a plumber and electrician. You can also have HD install it if you have some faith (they are successful sometimes)

An architect if you want to tear down walls and move the kitchen to the other side of the house or add a room at the same time.

Reply to
pipedown

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1154731608.028610.12800 @s13g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Designing and planning first, then worry about everything else.

Reply to
Murray Peterson