Kinda OT- Getting Good Neighbors

Page 1 of 3

A really crappy neighbor is putting their house up for sale. :))
I have few ideas on how to attract good buyers, but I'd like to open the topic for any ideas short of buying the place myself and becoming a landlord or reselling it.

Sounds like you have no where to go but up :-)

What are your ideas?
Jim

Word of mouth with people I know are decent people (and no criminal record, like the current neighbor). I was thinking of bribes and offers to do fix-ups pro-bono.

Word of mouth with people I know are decent people (and no criminal record, like the current neighbor). I was thinking of bribes and offers to do fix-ups pro-bono. =============================================== You mean like that "curb appeal" thing on HGTV, or whatever you are good at??
Proly would shock the hell out of the selling neighbor, but if you are game, and think you can add value/$$ to the house, thereby getting a "higher quality buyer", then it might be a good idea, if the seller is amenable.
But, in my mind, 99.9% of what makes a good neighbor is a QUIET neighbor. ALTHO, I myself managed to find myself with the quietest neighbor in the effing world, who fell into that 0.1% -- worthy of its own thread, which I'll post one day when I''m in story-telling mode.
The Q is: will whatever you can do result in an "improved" buyer?
AND, after all that, you could STILL wind up with the neighbor from hell.
I personally wouldn't get involved, unless some relatively small effort of mine could result in a really big change.
And frankly, I've yet to see ANYTHING in the DIY-ing world that has EVER been a "small effort". :) :( Of course, to me, just going to HD is fairly traumatic. :) :) :( :(
--
EA

Word of mouth with people I know are decent people (and no criminal record, like the current neighbor). I was thinking of bribes and offers to do fix-ups pro-bono.
===== I think you're at the mercy of chance. If you live in a dumpy neighborhood you're likely to get dumpy neighbors. Personally, I try to keep my property well maintained and hopefully set a good example. Good luck.
Jim

.
I live in a great neighborhood, but there is an increasing trend of low-lifes relocating to nice neighborhoods to avoid police detection.
Most people turn out to be crap.

Which is why it's great to be very far away from the "neighbors". I've lived here 25 years and except for the guy next door and the couple across the street (the houses I can see in the summer) I couldn't tell you the names of anyone on this block. Of course, the "block" is over a mile long.

Most of my neighbors are fantastic but it seems, here in Austin, there is always one who fits that discription. In Albuquerque I had the same immediate neighbors for 10 years and they were all pretty cool. Now I've got my "crap" neighbor pretty much under control now. Good enough so that I don't want him to move anymore. He doesn't have a barking dog, and that's a big plus.

Those would have been my suggestions. :)
The only other thing I can think of is if you know of people you like who are looking to buy, or relatives, etc, and letting them know.
Other than that, itsa crap shoot. Someone said it seems you can only go up, and I would say, PRAY that this is so.
One thing I might suggest is, if you haven't put a fence up already -- the tallest thickest effing fence your code will allow -- do so NOW, as this transition period is the "politically easiest" time. Man, am I kicking myself.....
--
EA

I hear ya on the fence. It's in need of refurbishment.

A good buyer does not always a good neighbor make.
i'm not sure how you'd attract the kind of person you're looking for. It's generally a crapshoot. People can appear one way, then you get to know them and.... well, you know.
As another poster said, sounds like you're nearly guaranteed to improve on the current situation.
Now if I could just get *my* crappy neighbor to sell...
jc
On 3/31/2010 12:26 PM, mike wrote:

owner, i.e. crappy neighbor now, another crappy neighbor later. From what I have seen with my limited experience, he is right.

Abraham Lincoln's father supposedly said, "when you can see the smoke from your neighbor's chimney, its time to move."
Joe G

Abraham Lincoln's father supposedly said, "when you can see the smoke from your neighbor's chimney, its time to move."
========================================== Worse is when you can't see the smoke, but you can still hear/smell the neighbor.... Then, it's REALLY time to move!
--
EA

Joe G

Excellent. I can see many of my neighbor's houses in winter, but only 1-2 in the summer because of all the trees. Just the way I like it.

Same here..I love it that way...
mike wrote:

My sister always makes a point of hanging around when prospective buyers come to view a neighboring property, so she can size them up. If they make a good impression on her, she introduces herself and chats with them a while, telling them about the neighborhood and its advantages. She's had buyers tell her afterwards how much they appreciated having a friendly neighbor fill them in on what the neighborhood was like, since a good neighborhood is as important as a good house.
If she thinks she wouldn't want them as neighbors, she tries to gently discourage them with a few not-quite-true stories. She might claim the street gets a lot of traffic and the problem with woods out back is that it's a teen haven for drinking and drugging. If she thinks they're troublemakers, she'll off-handedly mention a cop lives down the street, and everybody tries not to do anything to annoy him.
out back is

That's pretty funny... and probably effective!