KILZ Primer/Sealer Products ?

Hello:
Have a brownish water stain on a ceiling (leak has been corrected).
Guess it would be a good idea to put KILZ down prior to repainting with latex paint..
There seem to be so many KILZ products, not sure what to use for this application.
From their site: "PRIMERS are coatings applied to a surface to provide a firm bond between the substrate and finish coat.
SEALERS are coatings that prevent the surface from absorbing paint or leaching from the substrate. "
Do I want a Primer or Sealer ? Which one ?
Worth going for their "Premier" ?
They also offer in a spray can. Any good for a small area, or just use a brush ?
Thanks, B.
Robert11 wrote:

Primer, it's a normally dry area. Kilz products are good, but just because it was wet doesn't need you need the mildewcide/etc. Unless there was a mold growth, any quality primer will be as good...

Primer. No spray. Do it the hard way. You'll be happier when it's done.
Robert11 wrote:

Williams, etc. You may want to buy a stain-blocking sealer so the brown stain does not come through your final coating. Spray cans aren't very good in small, confined spaces. Make sure the surface is totally clean and dry, buy a brand name paint from a paint store.
Robert11 wrote:

I would go and get a couple of cans of Kilz "Upshot". It is designed for exactly your situation. It is an aerosol can which sprays straight up and is make to block stains on ceilings from water damage. Water stains almost always bleed through latex paint and the Kilz will seal it so that it can be covered without fear of bleedthrough. I am in the business of doing insurance work and have been for a couple of decades. Kilz has always worked for me.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Primer.
Usually the better stuff lasts longer.

The bush might be easier since it's a small area and you don't have to worry about accidently 'spray canning' something else. The downside is it's easier to store and be able to reuse the remainder of the can than a tin of primer. xxcarol