Kilz as ceiling paint?

Hubby wants to paint some ceilings with Kilz as they are yellowed from smokers. Then he wants to paint over it with ceiling white paint. Is that necessary or could the Kilz just be left as the ceiling paint? ares

kilz will encapsulate the odor and is a good idea.

kilz is to keep the odor and stain from bleeding through. You still need a couple coats of paint

If you like the color of killz, it'll be fine as your *paint*. It is slightly yellower and shiney than typical ceiling paint.
KB
Painted the outside once with it and it looked good for 7 years when I moved. I would try it and see how it looks for whiteness and if happy your done.

If you compare the Kilz when finished with a good coat or two of ceiling paint, there will be no comparison. Kilz is a great blocker, but not what I'd want on my ceilings for a finish. YMMV.
ares writes:

Some reason you don't just TRY A SAMPLE?
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:31:31 -0700, ares wrote

Ares -
Painting isn't my trade, but I've done a lot of it. My 2 cents:
Kilz is really good at sealing what it goes over, and it's a really good base for the finish coat. Color might be acceptable - that's up to you. But It's got a sort of open matte surface that paint sticks to. It's not got a lot of "solids" in it - which is pigment. It's mostly got "binder" - which is like glue or sealer.
I don't think it would hold up very well as a finish coat, although I've never had it exposed for more than a week or so. I suspect it would hold dust, dirt and odors, because it's designed to hold onto what's put over it. For me, the thin pigment doesn't look right either. I generally do two coats of Kilz, followed by two coats of finish. The first coat of Kilz always takes some time, especially on new plaster or skim coat, but the others go on pretty fast.
I'd let Hubby do the finish coat, and then take him out for a nice dinner (after he washed the paint off - Cupran Special is the best for that.)
- Kenneth

I thought the question was odd. Most women would want more painting done, not less. Unless she is one very cheap penny pincher.
Yeah, I'm a very cheap penny pincher. Compared to what's there with the yellowed walls, it looks super bright white like ceiling white to me actually. And I didn't know it had a porous surface that allowed stuff to stick to it as it just seemed like very tough material, though maybe you're right now that I looked at it a little closer. But then again to me ceiling white seemed a bit chalky too. ares
wrote in message

Your hubby is correct about using a stain blocker sealer & then paint.
I used to use Kilz but a friend turned me on to
Zinsser High Hide Cover Stain
http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductIDx
this stuff is great!
Dries ready for top coat in 2 hours. Covers everything, no bleed thru.Prime with this & one top coat is usually enough