killing pigeons

Page 2 of 3

Probably be a breath of fresh air compared to that pie hole of yours.
SteveB wrote:

Ain't that the truth.
cm wrote:

His underwear must be a frikkin' mess huh?
cm wrote:

It's futile. As some great warrior once said: "The penis is mightier than the sword," by which he meant that your enemy can breed faster than you can kill them.
That said, there is a certain satisfaction by stacking up the bodies. To be effective, you must consider their milieu. For example, one NY taxi driver worked out a system whereby he would slow down as he approached a pigeon, then stomp on the accelerator. The pigeon thought the taxi was going to give him the right-of-way and was lulled into a sense of complacency. As a result, the taxi got too close for the pigeon to respond to the taxi's surge. The cab driver giggled like a little girl, removed the pigeon from the grillwork, and added another silhouette to the front fender.
Obviously the taxi-driver's technique won't work on 34th-story window ledge.
There are several techniques here: http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-pigeons.htm
But the list is not exhaustive. It does not include, for example, pet hawks or even paper-mache owls.
My favorite is a bolt-action .22 rifle with sub-sonic bullets; it's nearly silent.

When I was young we were shooing pigeons in my friends barn, after a big rain his dad nearly shot us, it had a metal roof.
cm wrote:

Here 'ya go:
http://tinyurl.com/2xoglg
Jon

What is the need to kill them? Do you have a good recipe?
he he he....!
cm

When I was a kid, my father used to shoot pigeons and was just as likely to add them to the menu as he was the pheasants, rabbits, etc. My wife wouldn't have anything to do with cooking them as she grew up on a farm and thought of them as vermin. One day I was out by the landlords barn and shot a pigeon. I got the bright idea of cleaning it and taking it in and telling her that I had just managed to shoot a quail. Well, OK, she'd cook that for me but wasn't going to eat it, herself. I tell you that was the nastiest tasting, toughest old bird I'd ever ate. It was some years before I told her of the joke I played on her...errr, myself.
Tom G.

Killing them isn't the answer. It's just like evicting the current population and then putting up the sign,
HOUSING AVAILABLE
My father tried one time to get the squirrel out of his bird feeded. He did trap and release. He describes it as trying ot make a hole in the ocean by bailing from one side of the boat to another.
Your description is excellent, also.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Build a bird house with one way doors. My cousin did this when he got tired of them pooping on his car. Each hole in the house had a tube of chicken wire behind it . The pigeons could fly in but they couldnt get out. He set it on top of the 4 story building he worked in and it only took a couple of months to get rid of all the pigeons. The city had tried to get rid of them because they were becoming a health hazard and ruining the buildings using poisons, fake owls. I think he made the thing out of paper mache sprayed with enamel paint to water proof it.
Jimmie
JIMMIE wrote:

A friend of mine put up a "scare owl" on top of his building. When he climbed up to look, he found a pigeon screwing the scare owl.
TDD

Most worthless thing there is. Unless you're selling them, that is.
Steve

I know you are a smart reasonable man. It's just that I am smarter and more reasonable (and experienced with pigeons).
So, here's my take on being a contractor where I was called on for pigeon control.
First major point is that killing them is not the answer. If you could miraculously eliminate EVERY SINGLE pigeon there now, more would move back in by sunset tomorrow.
Three things are necessary.
ONE Remove all nests and nestlings from wherever they are now. Parents will always come back to babies, and new couples will be attracted to the scent of nests.
TWO Clean as much as you can the nesting area, using bleach, 409, Soylent Green, Whatever you can use that will clean somewhat, but not leave big streaks that are more unsightly then the nests.
THREE Block off the nesting areas. Netting, hardware cloth, sheet metal, whatever. They really do not want a perch, which only makes them pests for the day. They want nesting sites that make them pests for weeks. They're apartment shopping.
I have gotten rid of major infestations of pigeons. If you study pigeon behavior, it is the nesting part of it that is the lynchpin. Eliminate that, and you may have some stopping by for a while (and that will diminish with time), but the nest is the KEY element. Block off the access to the nests, and the pigeons will go elsewhere. It can be a PITA and a couple of weeks work, but two years down the line, and you look up there, and there's no pigeons, you will know you did the right thing. THEY'RE NOT LOOKING FOR A PERCH, THEY'RE LOOKING FOR AN APARTMENT.
MHO from years of dealing with pigeons. YMMV, let me know how it works.
Steve
cm wrote:

six years ago we learned that they were aiming at keeping the pigeon population under control with feeding stations containing food which didn't kill the pigeons, but made them sterile so they couldn't breed new generations.
I have no idea if it worked or not.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

It DOES work, but all the pigeons do not ingest the bait. And then new pigeons are arriving sans green cards every day. So, it does reduce the number of pigeons, but doesn't do much about their nasty living habits.
Steve
cm wrote:

"[GINZA, Japan] At last count, the city has exterminated 105,392 crows, with an estimated 21,200 still at large. Most were caught in traps baited with mayonnaise or lard."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/25/AR2009072502170.html?hpid=artslot