kill them all! - the new gas can?

Page 4 of 5
On 9/11/2014 11:14 AM, nestork wrote:

I found numerous references in government sites (CA and VA, for instance) mandating red for gasoline, yellow for diesel and blue for kerosene. Can't find the federal standard but you can bet your bippy it's there someplace.
Reason? To make it very clear what's in the container of course. All you have to worry about is the guy who puts gasoline in the kerosene container or diesel in the gasoline containter<g>

I've heard that using gasoline in a diesel engine does MAJOR damage. I've found that disel in a gas engine doesn't run well at all.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 09/11/2014 01:16 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[snip]

I seem to remember hearing something about a boat exploding because someone put gasoline in a tank that should hold diesel.
--
104 days until the winter celebration (Thursday December 25, 2014
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).
On 9/12/2014 9:43 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

One of the early episodes of Emergency! had such an event.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMUyiBhNJf8
Watch it here. One of the less noted episodes.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 9/11/14, 12:14 PM, nestork wrote:

A neighbor didn't care about can colors. When she lit her kerosene heater, it became obvious that she'd filled it with gasoline. She escaped injury, but the mobile home she was fixing to rent, was destroyed.
On 9/11/2014 12:31 PM, J Burns wrote:

I've heard that wick lanterns will go super nova if run on Coleman fuel. The metal frame "rail road" lanterns do that. Or, so I'm told.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 09/11/2014 11:14 AM, nestork wrote:

Not Fed DOT that I'm aware of but CA CARB does require portable red/yellow/blue for gasoline/diesel/kerosene. Hence, manufacturers must follow suit to sell product in California...
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in wrote:

Time it. I think you'll find it's a lot more than 20 seconds.
http://ezpourspout.com/order/order-fuel-spouts/ http://ezpourspout.com/order/order-fuel-spouts/ http://ezpourspout.com/order/order-fuel-spouts/ http://ezpourspout.com/order/order-fuel-spouts/ !!!!
And they have them down at the local True Value. Let's see - the can is now over $30. God I hate experts.
On 09/11/2014 11:50 AM, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I used to use the True Value here, but it's gone since Lowe's opened. The other old hardware store is gone too. I did find those spouts at Tractor Supply.
BTW, I have one old gas can and 4 of the early new cans. On those the plastic body is the same except for the vent hole not being drilled. The EZ Pour spouts and caps (yellow caps) fit both.
--
104 days until the winter celebration (Thursday December 25, 2014
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).

Not just california, iowa too:
http://www.doolittleoil.com/faq/why-must-gas-cans-be-red
On 09/11/2014 12:44 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

I doubt the IA market on its own would drive many manufacturers to make the shift... :)

of course, an easy 40 seconds is better than a PITA less than 40 seconds.
Per Guv Bob:

Couple days ago, I received 5 of these: http://tinyurl.com/llec2lf
They seem to work - with the caution that you need to use a conventional high-speed drill bit and not a spade bit. Get a hunk of similar polyethylene and try the drill you are going to use first.
--
Pete Cresswell

Per snipped-for-privacy@aol.com:

Am I the only one that gets scared just thinking about a spark or something while pouring gasoline into a funnel?
--
Pete Cresswell

On 9/11/2014 3:07 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I've done it for years, and not had trouble, yet.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

It goes in the tank of my boat as fast as I can pour it out of a vented 5 gal can. I guess I will have to actually time it if this is that important to you. Maybe shoot it on a video for you.

I am not sure where the spark comes from, It is a plastic can, in contact with a plastic funnel, going into a plastic gas tank. Even if there was some static electricity, there is no gap for it to jump across.
On Thu, 11 Sep 2014 16:07:08 -0400, Frank

I can see an issue if the filler is on the side of the vehicle like a gar but my boat tank fills from the top with a 1.5" filler neck and I use a 10" funnel with an exit hole that is about 1" ID It goes right in.
Per snipped-for-privacy@aol.com:

I've had tiny holes burned in the mylar of a windsurfer sail from some guy standing maybe 15' upwind sucking on a cigarette.
--
Pete Cresswell