kerosene heaters

Page 2 of 2
I live in an area where the power goes off frequently. I installed an Empire Direct Vent propane heater, 15,000 BTU. It gets it's air from outside and exhausts to outside, needs no electrical power to operate and is thermostatically controlled. The power for the thermostat is generated by the pilot heating a bi-metal strip. These things are not fuel efficient so they should be considered only for emergency purposes, but they are safe and there are no emissions vented to the living area, and no oxygen from the living area used for the flame. My brother heated with a catalytic kerosene heater, certified as completely safe, but eventually his clothes smelled and he developed a nasty cough. Perhaps if nothing else were available, for short term emergency I might reluctantly consider a kerosene heater but I think there are better ways to go.
Bob
Bonnie Jean wrote:

Bonnie Consider a through the wall heater. These have a vent and combustion air intake that takes the air to burn the fuel from outside the home and puts the soot and fumes outside. These are installed through a single four inch hole in an outside wall. They can be set up to run through a window insert so that you don't have to make a permanent hole in the wall. They are available to run on propane, fuel oil, kerosene, and natural gas. They require no electricity to run and they are much safer and healthier than the free standing ones. -- Tom H