kenmore washer loud spin cycle

I have a Kenmore top loading washer Mod- 110.23812100, and in the past couple of days it has developed a serious noise as it goes through the spin cycle. Doesn't appear to be draining either. I've already looked through some other similar posts. http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home.repair/browse_thread/thread/3a5c2afe54f8d49f/e36a4e4574b1aeee?q=kenmore+loud+spin&rnum=2#e36a4e4574b1aeee It sounds almost like a loud pump sound. The wife says she can smell something (maybe a belt?) I'm definitely not Mr. Mechanical, so I can't be sure. The wife and I are poor students, and if I can fix this myself, I will. So where to start? How do I troubleshoot this problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Peace, Jason
110.23812100, and in the past

as it goes through the

either. I've already looked

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home.repair/browse_thread/thread/3a5c2afe54f8d49f/e36a4e4574b1aeee?q=kenmore+loud+spin&rnum=2#e36a4e4574b1aeee
wife says she can smell

Mechanical, so I

and if I can fix this

troubleshoot this

appreciated.
Open the Yellow Pages to "appliance repair".

Then be prepared to open your billfold/purse/wallet.
This is [practically] a DIY newsgroup, Kathy.
One smart-ass reply deserves another, and so I am inclined to gratuitously reciprocate. :-)
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home.repair/browse_thread/thread/3a5c2afe54f8d49f/e36a4e4574b1aeee?q=kenmore+loud+spin&rnum=2#e36a4e4574b1aeee
Hi,
Model# shows a direct drive style washer = no belt.

How to open it up to have a peek... http://www.applianceaid.com/procedures.html http://www.applianceaid.com/dd_lidswitch.html
On 6 Feb 2006 04:47:54 -0800, "Appliance Repair Aid"

That is correct. When they first came out, they were affectionately know in the trade as the "Design 2000". I think they're crap, compared to the older belt-driven Whirlpools, if you ask me. YMMV.

Yeah - sounds like a bad or stuck pump, more like a sock/nylon/underwire/etc stuck in the impeller. It's easy enough to get to, just two clips. You shouldn't have to disconnect the hoses to clean out the pump, and the wires just unplug. If the pump itself is seized, but not due to impeller obstruction, then chances are the seals are shot, and it is leaking water into the motor (one more reason for that burning smell) ;`(
That smell is the motor overheating due to too much water in the tub for too long, overheating it.
-- -john wide-open at throttle dot info
~~~~~~~~ A little knowledge that acts is worth infinitely more than much knowledge that is idle. -Kahlil Gibran ~~~~~~~~
Haha! Bingo Baby sock stuck in impeller. Thank you so much Johnny. Next time my mom asks me what good is the internet, I'm going to point to this. Technology and friendly people save the day. peace, Jason
~^Johnny^~ wrote:

when was the last time you cleaned it out?
Turn off water, hook a hose up to the drain, and drain it out. All that sediment and krap gets in the bottom of tank and offsets its effective heating capability.
After you drain it,turn on the water and fill her up again, if still a problem, try elements or just downright getting a new heater.
In my many plumbing years, even with the finest of h/water tank warranties, the tanks die out in 8-10 yrs. no matter where you live (type of water),etc.
On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 23:44:02 GMT, no snipped-for-privacy@y.com (NatlHomeServices) wrote:

How much have you had to drink tonight, sir?