Kenmore Washer eating holes in clothes

Kenmore model 110.82873820 - periodically eats little holes in knit shirts, etc. I'm guessing they get into the agitator mechanism somehow.
Any hope of repair? - it's an old machine; perhaps I should just buy new? Gail
<< Any hope of repair? - it's an old machine; perhaps I should just buy new?

Buy a new front loader, it's a whole new laundry world out there. Read up in Consumer Reports for the pro's and con's, then shop with confidence. Good luck.
Joe
I have a Bosch front loader that I love and swear by, with one exception. If I do a small load the detergent sometimes foams and comes out the door. Is there detergent for front loaders that is low foaming?
Rich

You should be using a HE detergent. Tide and a few others make them but the liquid tide foams a bit much. If doing a small load use a tiny amount. Your clothes will still get clean because not much water goes into a tiny load.

Hi Gail,
Don't be too hasty in replacing this KM top-loader, even though it's a 1988. Most reliable, reasonably priced machine on the market right now.
Rub an old pair of pantyhose around the inside of the tub, including the agitator and its edges. This is a good way to find the sharp spot that's causing the damage. You'll feel the hosiery catch on whatever's causing the problem. I'd bet on a burr or sharp spot on the agitator. It doesn't take much of a burr to catch knits.
Don't buy a front-loader. While they do a great job and use less resources, I'm regularly seeing bearing failure at 5-7 years - or less - and that's a terrible ROI.
God bless,
Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA www.DavesRepair.com snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com 570-363-2404
I'm a 32-year pro appliance technician, and love sharing what I've learned - in a FREE Monthly Appliance Tips Newsletter. (Back issues now posted here too!) www.DavesRepair.com
John 3:3