"Kenmore" Branded Gas Grills ?

Hello:
Thinking of getting (finally) a gas grill. Don't know very much about them.
Have read Consumers Reports, but see in the papers many grills on sale at Sears carrying the Kenmore label. Quite a bit cheaper that Weber or Vermont Castings. CR hasn't offered any opinions on these Kenmore ones, apparently.
Realize you tend to get what you pay for, but was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Kenmore branded ones ?
Thanks, Bob

In my opinion (biased because I am a Weber fan, using my 2nd one now after my first died after 14 years of excellent service), these Kenmore grills don't generate the high or consistent heat of pricier grills, and they work less and less well over the years. They're also hard to clean. I hate them. For an extra $100-200, you can get a nice Weber Genesis Silver A that will last you for decades with good care. These Kenmore and Charbroil types of grills are basically disposable, a real waste in my view.

When is the last time you looked at a Kenmore grill? Your statement may have been correct 10 years ago. Some of these make Weber look rather cheesy.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=LAWN&pid117329000&subcat=Grills%2C+Gas
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=LAWN&pid117337000&subcat=Grills%2C+Gas

I no longer have the OP, but my understanding of his query was that he wasn't in the $650-$800 price range for grills, more rather in the generally common $150-$400 range, and that's what my post responded to. The Kenmore grills I'm familiar with were purchased in the last 5 years and were less than $200. They sucked. They also were nothing like the grand stainless models you're showing.

He did mention Vermont Castings. They don't have any cheap grills. Any brand less than $300 or so is junk, IMO.

So true, especially for longevity.
I got a Kenmore as a wedding present 8 years ago and it still works. We use it regularly, moved it three times and have even hauled it for camping trips and cookouts. With a little annual preventive maintenenace (cleaning burners, tightening bolts, etc.) it will last much longer. The only think I've had to replace is the grill plates due to overuse. I bought the nice ceramic coated ones...

I saw Kenmore grills, and was really turned on. They look fabulous.
But I bought a Vermont Castings. It is blue, and only partial stainless steel.
That stainless is a royal PITA. I could not imagine having a grill that had about five times the amount of stainless that the VC has. A guy would have to spend a lot of time just keeping it looking decent.
I can't say how much I like the VC. The porcelain grills. The lighter that works first time every time. The accurate temperature control. The ability to bake in it by putting the food on one side and the flame on the other. The massive weight that keeps in the heat. The overall good looks. The good construction.
It is the best grill I have ever owned, but all my other ones were the $150 aluminum body cheapos, or garage sale derelicts.
Consider keeping all that stainless clean when picking a grill. It is only gonna look nice for a couple of days, unless you want to spend a lot of time keeping it clean.
Steve
I have a 7 year old Weber. All I do is give it more propane and a new cover once in a while. Can't beat that.

I can't tell you which brand is best, but I can tell you that I will NOT buy a Weber Genesis. They probably work fine, but the idiot who put the knobs on the side shelf needs to have his/her head examined. Horizontal space near the cooking surface is a valuable commodity, it should not be wasted on knobs.
--
Ron DeBlock N2JSO 20 years on Usenet!
If God had meant for Man to see the sunrise,

months ago. The Kenmore has ss burners and grates but the "body" is not stainless. I didn't want the extra work of keeping it clean. Assembly took about an hour which is longer than with a Weber, but the instructions were clear and easy to follow. Some of the Weber's parts were flimsy compared to the Kenmore, particularly the grates and doors. Grease removal is also easy like the Weber with a disposable drip pan system that can be easily reached.
Temperature is easy to maintain and control. I have been able to keep temps at 215-225 for barbequing and in the 550 range for searing.
Both grills were in the same price range $500-600.
Have you looked at the SS grills at Costco ?

On Mon 30 May 2005 11:23:58p, Rudy wrote in alt.home.repair:

Great grill. I'd buy it if it weren't SS. SS is a royal PITA.
--
Wayne Boatwright **
Why a pain? Just about to buy a SS unit and you have touched on a interesting point---they are sposed to be less maintenance????

On Wed 01 Jun 2005 08:51:04p, ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy wrote in alt.home.repair:

If you want it to look like new, you'll spend more time cleaning and polishing the SS than you will cooking. SS hoods also tend to darken with high heat exposure. That takes a lot of elbow grease.
The grill I bought is predominantly SS with some black porcelain trim. I finally decided to hell with it and let the appearance go. I keep it clean, but it still looks like hell without the polishing. It still grills well.

--
Wayne Boatwright **
On Wed 01 Jun 2005 08:51:04p, ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy wrote in alt.home.repair:

One more thing. This might be helpful...
    http://bbq.about.com/od/stainlesssteelgrills/a/aa042305a_2.htm
--
Wayne Boatwright **
message

The SS on my Vermont Castings has a finish that is not smooth. It has tiny lines in it. The grease sticks in there, and is very hard to get out, even with 409 cleaner and the like. I used 409 once, but hated the way the BBQ smelled the first time I used it. Now, I just use heavy soap and water and a power washer.
If you have to ask what's the problem with SS, you've never owned one.
Steve